Sonos Play:1 in Czech Republic (EU)

• 30 September 2018
  • 2 replies

I recently changed my location to Czech Republic (where I really am) in Amazon settings and no longer able to use Sonos skill in Alexa to control my Sonos Play:1 speaker. Now I get this error message trying to install Sonos skill: "You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions". I've just walked through similar topics here, and looks like people from other countries like Slovenia and Portugal have the same issues. I understand, that it's likely because Alexa doesn't support Czech, Slovenian, Portuguese, etc. languages, therefore the Sonos skill is enabled there, but is it really an issue? I think Alexa and Sonos users don't care that it's in English at all and want to use their Sonos controller together with Alexa. Now it became useless for me because of this strange restriction.

So, are there any plans to enable it in EU countries? Is there any way to enable the skill bypassing this limitation?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hello there, jprogd. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Currently, I do not have any information about bringing Alexa on Sonos to other countries in the EU outside of what is currently supported. In the meantime, I am happy to forward this along to the team for consideration and visibility.
Hi jprogd,
I had the same issue... I live in CZ and bought sonos speakers with alexa… I had one speaker that I had no problems setting up. Then I bought another and paired them, and since then Alexa wasn't able to control the speakers. Alexa would listen and reply, but not play music, or radio.
Currently the only way to work around that geo restriction, is to go to Amazon.com, log in with your account, go to your Content and Devices, switch to Preferences tab, and under Country/Region Settings, change your location to some random address in US/UK/DE. Save it as your location, log in to Alexa app, and try to enable Sonos skill...
I just did that couple of minutes ago and it worked for me.