Question

Sonos One with Pandora Premium (upcoming)

• 29 October 2017
  • 14 replies

I just learned that this coming month we should see support for Pandora Premium integration (fingers crossed this is true and finally comes to pass - I've been holding my breath for months). My question is if there is any info regarding whether Sonos ONE/Alexa will be supported in this new functionality as well, e.g. Pandora is already supported but will it be possible to ask Alexa to, for instance, play a specific artist or song on a particular speaker group as opposed to just the artist radio that is currently possible?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Where did you see that Premium support is coming this month??
Where did you see that Premium support is coming this month??
In an email exchange I've had going with their support for about 6 months.

Received October 28th:
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for writing. We really appreciate your support.
I’m happy to share that we are just a few weeks away from releasing an update for the Sonos companion app and Pandora app. This update will give you the ability to control your Sonos devices from the Pandora app, but also give you access to your Pandora Premium content from the Sonos app.
The update will be released in November, so stay tuned.
Thanks for you patience in the meantime.
I’ve seen it too, pretty sure in a tweet from Spense.
Pandora and Tidal Direct Connect coming very soon. Since Pandora Premium can now play on phones and tablets, it will be able to cast to Sonos. I’m guessing the Sonos integration of Premium will be done concurrently.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ceo-patrick-spence-on-the-sonos-one-voice-control-retail-and-a-possible-ipo-cm855485

Sonos also announced Wednesday that it will begin to support AirPlay 2 next year, and Spence said that the company worked closely with Apple on the second version of the wireless streaming protocol. And the company announced that Pandora and Tidal users will now be able to play music directly out of those service's apps on their Sonos speakers, without the need for the Sonos app. The same functionality will come to additional apps, including Audible, iHeart Radio, and Kuke Music, early next year.
Pandora and Tidal Direct Connect coming very soon. Since Pandora Premium can now play on phones and tablets, it will be able to cast to Sonos. I’m guessing the Sonos integration of Premium will be done concurrently.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ceo-patrick-spence-on-the-sonos-one-voice-control-retail-and-a-possible-ipo-cm855485

Sonos also announced Wednesday that it will begin to support AirPlay 2 next year, and Spence said that the company worked closely with Apple on the second version of the wireless streaming protocol. And the company announced that Pandora and Tidal users will now be able to play music directly out of those service's apps on their Sonos speakers, without the need for the Sonos app. The same functionality will come to additional apps, including Audible, iHeart Radio, and Kuke Music, early next year.

Where have you seen tablet support for Premium? I've yet to see an update on my iPad.

Where have you seen tablet support for Premium? I've yet to see an update on my iPad.

It's available on my Android tablet as of the update 4 or 5 says ago. The iPad update still doesn't have Premium support, surprisingly. Should be coming soon, i would think...

It's available on my Android tablet as of the update 4 or 5 says ago. The iPad update still doesn't have Premium support, surprisingly. Should be coming soon, i would think...

Still no premium iPad update that I can see, but Sonos control just hit my Pandora app, and vice versa e.g. Pandora control update within Sonos app. Works great!
Sweet! Will check it out tonite. I do like Pandora’s UI a lot. Hoping they will push Premium to Alexa, too.

Do Sonos devices show up under the Cast icon, with Chromecast devices?
Sweet! Will check it out tonite. I do like Pandora’s UI a lot. Hoping they will push Premium to Alexa, too.

Do Sonos devices show up under the Cast icon, with Chromecast devices?

Yup - that's exactly how they've done it. It's perfect and everyone will "get it" that way. Clean and simple.

Oh, and by the way - it worked with Pandora PLUS as well. I had downgraded my subscription to PLUS while awaiting these updates and hadn't upped it before trying. The cast icon worked after I updated the app, but before I upgraded my account. Bonus points! (Dunno if it works with the free tier...)
I have to say, pretty much my only complaint about the Pandora UI is the lack of an ability to adjust the now playing queue, e.g. like the Sonos app does with the ability to "Play Next" or "Add to End of Queue". Other than that I love it, though with Sonos its almost a non-issue since I'm able to do that when using the Sonos app.
It seems there is only Alexa support on the One with Pandora insofar as station playback is concerned, but not for Premium content, e.g. specific albums or songs.
Anyone hear if/when this is coming? Spotify now works with voice, but I cancelled in favor of Pandora's new UI. Voice support isn't the end of the world for me personally - I prefer Pandora to Spotify enough that I don't care, but of course it would be nice to have voice support for Premium.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It seems there is only Alexa support on the One with Pandora insofar as station playback is concerned, but not for Premium content, e.g. specific albums or songs

My Skill can do this with Pandora Premium content, so long as you have the latest version.
It seems there is only Alexa support on the One with Pandora insofar as station playback is concerned, but not for Premium content, e.g. specific albums or songs

My Skill can do this with Pandora Premium content, so long as you have the latest version.

To clarify - are you saying you are able to specify playing a particular song by a particular artist in any room you choose via Panora triggered by the Sonos One??? Because I cannot. Stations only. If I get specific it either attempts to direct me to Amazon Music (asking me to subscribe and offering a song sample and other irritating talk I didn't ask for) or it simply starts a Pandora radio station for that artist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
To clarify - are you saying you are able to specify playing a particular song by a particular artist in any room you choose via Panora triggered by the Sonos One

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Specifically:
"alexa, tell my speaker to search using pandora" (only needed once)
"alexa, tell my spekaer to play perfect by ed sheeran" (she replies ok, and it starts)
I could have added "in the kitchen", or "everywhere", if I wanted to.