Question

Sonos One with Alexa trying to access my songs & playlists in iTunes on my iMac

• 6 January 2018
  • 8 replies

I just got a Sonos One for Xmas with Alexa and I love it.
However, I am a newbie and would like to ask Alexa to play a song, album or playlist from my fairly large iTunes library on my iMac. Can anyone assist me on how to do that?
Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

That is my problem, too. I also received a Sonos One for Christmas, But, I cannot get it to play any of my purchased music off the iTunes Store. I'm looking forward to some knowledgeable person helping us.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi both.

Amazon Alexa doesn't support the playing of locally stored music via voice control, in fact no do Google Assistant. There was the option to upload your music collection to the Amazon cloud - for a fee- but Amazon has just announced that they are withdrawing this capability in early 2018.

The only option is to initiate audio from your local collection and then control via voice control afterwards. e.g. Pause, Resume, Next, etc.
Thank you for your clarification, Rising Star. Hopefully, this ability will come to us in the future. One can always hope. 🙂
I saw that My Media may be able to do this? Does that work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I haven't tried this but the command syntax 'Alexa, Ask My Media to play Ed Sheeran on Kitchen Sonos' is a bit chunky but maybe worth a try.
I’m looking for similar solution and am going to try the plex alexa app. Maybe this will help you too...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m looking for similar solution and am going to try the plex alexa app. Maybe this will help you too...

Please ley us know how you get on, I gave up on Plex and would be interested to get your views.
Userlevel 2
“My Media for Alexa” now works with the Sonos One so you can ask Alexa to play your local music and iTunes music directly on your Sonos. Check out https://www.mymediaalexa.com

For iTunes music, you will need to have the music downloaded locally (ie not just on iCloud) but otherwise it works fine including importing your iTunes playlists so you can voice control them too.