Sonos One with Alexa and Google Home Working Together_Sort Of....

• 9 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
I've been living with the Sonos One since release date 10/24/17. I am very pleased with Sonos One/Alexa marriage.

Before the Sonos One with Alexa I was using a Google Home device with Chrome Cast Audio to play music through my Sonos Play 5's in stereo pair with Sonos Sub. I also used Google Home to control my lights which brings me to the point of this conversation.

Using the Sonos One with Alexa for IoT devices such as the Philips Hue works in harmony with Google Home! I can control my lights with one or the other and it doesn't matter with which device the original command was given. That said I wonder if when Google Home assistant is made available to the Sonos One will we have to choose a default (i.e. Alexa or Google Home).

I hope they might work together as Google Play Music has it's offerings as does Amazon Prime Music. However, my gut tells me that even with multiple AIA's available only one at a time will be allowed as active. We can only hope.

What are your thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Before I received my Sonos 1, I also used Chrome Cast into a Connect and Google home for partial voice control of Sonos but didn't like the degradation in sound quality when compared to audio played direct from the Sonos app.

I must admit my prior confidence that Google Home was much better than Alexa has been shaken since I have used Alexa. I also have an Amazon Fire TV box and the ability to control Smart Home devices is much more reliable with Alexa than with Google Assistant in my recent experience. Does anyone feel differently?

I am very interested in the ability to switch a Sonos 1 between Alexa and Google Assistant, as I believe that this will be first Smart Speaker to be AI agnostic and so a direct comparison of the AI software, independent of hardware specs will be possible.

As you stated AjTrek1, I expect that it will be a binary choice on which AI to use or the Sonos Cloud will be very complex!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I believe that sonos will make you choose one AI in the start of the setup or you can flip it once you have it setup, but I don't think both will coexist simultaneously. I don't think it would make sense for that to happen mainly because of all the scenarios where they will interfere with each others.

Now airplay 2 is another story that is much like spotify connect which i think will exist even with alexa or google home as your AI. Airplay 2 is not an AI. The Siri AI is different that too would intefere with Google Home or Alexa.

my 2c
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi

Before I received my Sonos 1, I also used Chrome Cast into a Connect and Google home for partial voice control of Sonos but didn't like the degradation in sound quality when compared to audio played direct from the Sonos app.

I must admit my prior confidence that Google Home was much better than Alexa has been shaken since I have used Alexa. I also have an Amazon Fire TV box and the ability to control Smart Home devices is much more reliable with Alexa than with Google Assistant in my recent experience. Does anyone feel differently

Whole heartidly.. I too was using several google homes and home minis around the house before deciding to switch to sonos ones. While i am very happy with the sound quality and music abilities of my new sonos system i must say i really miss my google assistant. I just dont find thr alexa commands to be natural to me.. Admitidely its likely just because i continue to ask it for things in the manner i am used to, but it fails at 85% of tasks i request. This im sure is compounded by the fact that i still use google assistant on my phone and in my truck.. All in all i am waiting excitidly for google assistant to launch of the sonos ones, and i hope there is a beta i can get in on soon.
Yes, when is the Google beta starting ?
I am hoping as well that it will be wake word activated. It just does not seem that difficult to build a “manifold” into the device where if I say Alexa your talking to Alexa or if I say Hey Google your talking to Google Assistant. If I were the product manager and/or lead engineer I would insist on this to be the case...anything short of this should be temporary at best with this type of integration features on a very short horizon...this is not rocket science after all it is just good software development and anticipating what customer expectations are and delivering on them.

Time will tell...:)