Question

Sonos One Windows App

• 31 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Is the Windows App capable of setting up a new Sonos One?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I installed the new Sonos one yesterday but was unable to get the voice control working. I had previously used my phone to link the Sonos and Alexa accounts and was able to play music using voice control on my echo. When I got the Sonos One working I could not figure out how to get voice control working. I was using the Sonos app on my laptop because it's easier than the phone. I searched and read but was getting more and more frustrated when I noticed that every web page of instructions showed a phone. So I turned on the Sonos app on my phone and there were two red menu items: one for linking music and one for voice controls. In about 30 seconds Alex spoke from the Sonos One and I was able to use voice control.

Please tell me if I missed something in the Windows app or did Sonos just make a major screw up by not specifying that YOU MUST USE YOUR PHONE to activate voice controls. If the Windows app doesn't contain the requisite menu items it should be clearly indicated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You have to use an iOS or Android device to setup up voice control, the Windows app can't do it (and I assume the Mac one can't either). No idea why not.
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to verify that and to ensure anyone else trying to set a Sonos One up might have the advantage of a thread with that particular answer.

I can't imagine creating a phone app with more power/authority than a laptop app, Windows or Mac.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Controlav is correct. We have the need for mobile called out on the step by step guide here and other places too. Thanks for sharing here too.
I watched that video and read that document. I have been in Tech Support and related activities since 1977 and I can see why you think you've "called out" the need for mobile, Ryan. However, you don't actually SAY anything about a phone - only the picture of a phone is shown but the callout is definitely the "Sonos App". Go back and look - you've relied upon a subliminal suggestion but have not actually "called out" a mobile device. It will save people like me a lot of trouble if you just ACTUALLY say "mobile only".

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I see where you're coming from and I'll pass along the feedback to the team for sure.

On the article we do say:

Once your system is set up, proceed to Step 2 to add Amazon Alexa to Sonos. Please note that you will need to use a mobile device for the remaining steps.

At the end of step 1.
Yes, I did miss that or, almost as likely, my laptop is my mobile device of choice. It just needs to be as clear as possible - it literally cost me 2 days of frustration.