Sonos One vs Echo Dot + Play 1

• 24 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
I have a Sonos One and the sound is great but unfortunately it's lacking the full functionality of the Echo. So I'm looking to replace the Echo I have with another Sonos to get the great sound but can't decide between getting another One and not getting everything that the Echo can do or linking an old Echo Dot I have, or maybe an Echo Spot to a Play 1

What experience Do you all have with an Echo and a Play 1 and what would you advise

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Allan. The reason the Sonos One is (arguably) superior, is because we will be introducing more voice services to it, with time. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.
I have both setups. The only real disadvantage of the Dot+Play:1 combo is that you need to remember to tag “in the (room) ” to the end of most commands, plus the extra power outlet required. One of those outlets with built-in USB power comes in handy here.

The One is now as good as the Dot/Echo at voice recognition, and no longer requires shouting to get its attention. It might false-trigger a bit more often than the Amazon devices, but that will be fixed over time.

The lack of support for the AudioPlayer API is a glaring hole that Sonos is being extremely slow to fill. Skills that use it, such as Radio Paradise, My Media (voice control of your local music) and dozens of relaxation type skills like Relaxing Spanish Guitar, won’t work without it. A real head scratcher why Sonos doesn’t yet support this basic Alexa functionality, which should have been supported on Oct. 4th.

Amazon reserves messaging, calling and drop in services for its own devices, so you’ll still want an Echo to support those.