Sonos One to voice control Amazon Fire TV Stick

• 29 October 2017
  • 14 replies

Having just purchased the Sonos One and being extremely pleased with everything so far. I've tried to get Alexa to control my Amazon TV Fire stick. The Alexa app shows the fire stick but i cannot get seem to get it working. Does it have anything to do with the name of the device i'm trying to control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

This! I am in exactly same situation!!

Please someone help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Amazon don't support Voice Control pf the Fire TV outside of the US at the moment. You need to be able to link the devices and that option isn't available on alexa.amazon.co.uk>Music, Video & Books
I don't have a Sonos One, but I have set up control of a fire tv from an echo. Did you go through the setup of linking your fire tv to your Sonos One? If not, from the Alexa app, go to Music, Video, & Books -> fire tv -> Manage devices...and follow the rest of the setup to link the fire tv.

Because of the way the linking works, I don't think the names you give your fire tv or your Sonos One will be a factor. In fact, when giving control commands to your fire tv, you won't even state the fire tv you want to control.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Amazon don't support Voice Control pf the Fire TV outside of the US at the moment. You need to be able to link the devices and that option isn't available on alexa.amazon.co.uk>Music, Video & Books

Voice control came to the UK earlier this year, I can control my Hue lights from the FireTV remote
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Dave77

That's correct. I can control all of my Smart Home devices from my Echo Dot, Sonos 1 or Fire TV but to control a Fire TV from another Echo device you need to link the Fire TV to a single device. It is this functionality that has not yet been released within the UK.
Having the same issue... Alexa tells me she is connecting and then she says “I had trouble communicating with fire tv.” I’ve read this is a known issue on all Alexa devices and not just the Sonos One.

Most people said to give it some time and it would finally connect. Usually overnight. Did this work for you?
After 4 Hours.... My Sonos One with Alexa finally controls my Firestick TV after saying it was not able to communicate with my Fire Stick TV. Works perfectly.
I can’t get my Sonos One to control my fire tv. Please could someone explain exactly what to do?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please see my comment:

Hi Dave77

That's correct. I can control all of my Smart Home devices from my Echo Dot, Sonos 1 or Fire TV but to control a Fire TV from another Echo device you need to link the Fire TV to a single device. It is this functionality that has not yet been released within the UK.
Roman C has managed to get theirs to work, how did they do that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
He lives in the US where this functionality is supported, you could always move home! 🙂
I see, thanks
Is this released yet for the UK? I installed a Sonos beam and would want it to operate fire TV.
Sonosuser1000,

No, it appeared like it was working temporarily a few weeks ago, but the Sonos devices have since been removed in the latest UK Alexa App update. The fire-stick can only be linked to an Amazon echo device like echo dot etc. at the moment.