Sonos One & Spotify - Alexa ignoring voice commands

• 24 November 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
So i'm pleased that the Spotify integration landed early - not so pleased that it doesn't seem to work properly. I can get Alexa to play my playlists "play my Prince playlist" will work. But when I say "Play songs by Prince" Alexa responds: "Playing songs by Prince, on Spotify" but then precisely nothing happens. Whatever song was playing before I issued the command continues to play. Anyone else suffering with this? Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I have this problem as well. If nothing is playing, Alexa understands my request, says “ #” is playing in “#” and nothing happens. If I change my default music service to amazon music it seems to work well. When switched back to Spotify I get silence. I have changed multiple settings and have also deleted and reinstalled the sonos skill. The results are still the same. If I have music already playing and I ask for a new song, Alexa replies and then continues to play the song that was originally playing. I can play Spotify through the sonos app with no problems. However, all voice controls, for me, with Spotify don’t work.
I am also having exactly the same issue. Changing my default music library to Spotify or radio stations to Pandora breaks voice control. Voice control works fine when I change the defaults back to Amazon Music. Just reported this to Sonos Support's Twitter account. Let's see what they say. Looks like a really serious bug got released in the rush to get Spotify voice support working.
I have the same/similar issue. The first time I set up, I requested “play Tom Petty” and it worked perfectly that one and only time. After that I couldn’t get it to respond. Music plays through sonos/Spotify via iPad. Also, Alexa does verify that the request is being played (when requesting via voice control) but playback doesn’t occur.
Replying to my own message... I went to the Alexa app and disabled the Sonos skill, and then Enabled the Sonos skill again.... that fixed my issues. I hope this helps others!
I have had no problems with the Spotify voice integration. I just got my Sonos last night and setting up was a snap.
I just heard back from Sonos support on Twitter and they asked did I have the same Spotify/Pandora accounts configured on Alexa and Sonos. Turns out I have a Spotify Family account and used two different accounts fro Alexa and Sonos. Fixed that and everything is working perfectly now!
Replying to my own message... I went to the Alexa app and disabled the Sonos skill, and then Enabled the Sonos skill again.... that fixed my issues. I hope this helps others!this also worked for me. great advise thanks.
Replying to my own message... I went to the Alexa app and disabled the Sonos skill, and then Enabled the Sonos skill again.... that fixed my issues. I hope this helps others!

ditto for me, thanks!
I’m having the exact same problem. Did you ever solve this?