Sonos One seen as "Smart Home" device, not "Alexa enabled" device

• 17 February 2018
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi,
I recently bought a Sonos One to upgrade the sound quality in my living room. It replaces an Amazon Echo (1st Gen), which now sits in one of the bedrooms.

I was obviously disappointed to see that most Alexa skills (the ones involving sound) do not work on Sonos One. I'm looking for a work around until an update is released.

I have another issue. I also use Alexa to control my smart home devices (mostly lightbulbs). I have become quite familiar with the procedure needed to add an use devices on Alexa.

I also use groups, and this is where my question comes from. I noticed that Alexa sees Sonos One as a "Smart Home" device of unknown type. The Alexa app sees my other Amazon speakers as "Alexa enabled devices" when creating groups, where as Sonos One is seen as just another device called "Living room".

Is this normal?

I am sort of happy to accept that I can't use Drop In, but creating Groups is a really important feature when you have a few Alexa and smart home devices lying around.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hi Ryan & mcbeakison
Thanks for the info - up and working now 🙂