Answered

Sonos One pairing with Play 5 (gen 1)

Badge
Hi all. I am looking at purchasing the new Sonos One as an addition to my Gen 1 Sonos system. Will the new Sonos One pair/group with all my of my gen 1 speakers ? I am aware you must buy two Sonos One speakers if you want to use them together (stereo)since the Sonos 1 will not pair in as a stereo with Sonos One, but will my existing Sonos 1 be able to work in a group set up? Thank you for any help someone can offer.
icon

Best answer by Chris 2 May 2018, 21:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes of course - every single Sonos unit built can group with each other.
Badge
Awesome! I figured that was the case, but the Sonos 1 topic pairing as stereo made me question the rest of my Gen 1 system. Have $4000 into this system and would really p$&s me off if the new advices in technology made my system incompatible. Heading out now to get my Sonos One ! Thanks for replying so quickly! Just made my day !! ??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea they work the same - just people get all bent out of shape because Sonos considers the Sonos One and Play:1 very different speakers for stereo pairing.

You do with Sonos One get the newest tech that will allow you to do things with current speakers that you wouldn't otherwise (like getting future Airplay2 ability).

I got a Sonos One for my bathroom and makes the perfect speaker there (perfect hands free zone).
Badge
Thanks for your personal experience. Once I got Sonos, I have not thought of any other speaker system. Spoiled with this awesome system when I go to friends homes. The quality of sound is a massive difference. Thanks a lot for all the great feedback. Much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sound quality is great and being able to pick any song anytime and create a dynamic playlist on the fly makes for a nice evening.

One thing I do at my bar in my house is we will play "name that toon". I'll put Sonos on a services like 80's mix and see who the first person to name the song or artist is.
As a footnote, there really isn't a 'gen 1 system'. Products have been launched over time. The gen 2 Play:5 might have been more sensibly called the Play:6, as it is really a totally different speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wish they would have called it a Play:6 and the Sonos One a Sonos 2 in order to stop a lot of bellyaching around here
I wish they would have called it a Play:6 and the Sonos One a Sonos 2 in order to stop a lot of bellyaching around hereAnd not called it Boost setup when it doesn't need a Boost. Or called the device a Boost, when it bridges, not boosts. In fact, if ever there were a case for a gen 2, the Boost should have been the Sonos Bridge gen 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would allevaite a lot of confusion if they called it Sonosnet mode.

One thing I do at my bar in my house is we will play "name that toon". I'll put Sonos on a services like 80's mix and see who the first person to name the song or artist is.

I second this. Works great for parties. Also kinda scaring how I remember some obscure song fro '81, yet I sometimes forget my own phone number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes very scary.