Sonos ONE + NPR One

• 21 November 2017
  • 13 replies

Just got a Sonos ONE and I’m trying to integrate the right Alexa skills. Unfortunately, even though it recognizes that I’ve asked it to play NPR One, it doesn’t actually playback. Has anyone else experienced this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There are known issues with Alexa third-party skills and some Alexa core functions (flash briefing and sports update) that play audio. A date had been given for the Flash Briefing/Sports Update functions to begin working. I believe it's either today or tomorrow. Whether third-party skills that also play audio will be working at that time is unknown at this point.
Flash Briefing works this morning. Sadly, the Radio Paradise skill still doesn’t work. 😞
Looks like Spotify is now working.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/11/21/16684364/sonos-alexa-spotify-now-available
Userlevel 1
@jmell, I have the same issue. I am not able to hear the NPR One skill on the Sonos One. Alexa recognizes the command. The skill also works when I use an Echo Dot. Unfortunately, as you've experienced, I am not able to stream the NPR One skill to any of the Sonos speakers. I believe this is due to Sonos not supporting NPR One. I hope they will add this support in the future.
I'm still getting the same thing and would really like to see this addressed.
Badge +1
Yes, NPR One would be VERY GOOD! Kind of strange how it is but isn't recognized.
Having same issue. Morning briefing works. NPR One worked the first time I tried it, and subsequently, no such luck. Alexa says "You are listening to national newscast. Would you like to resume?" Then, nothing, just goes back to the music or whatever I was listening to before.
Badge
Get the response “playing NPR” then nothing happens.
This appears to be true for all TuneIn stations now. No problems on Amazon Echo devices, but Sonos is a no-go.
Get the response “playing NPR” then nothing happens.

Yeah, probably the same issue that prevents all manner of streams that use the Audio Player API. This is a very basic Alexa functionality that Sonos really needs to fully implement, soon. Hopefully the early April release will implement it.

MyMedia, Radio Paradise, NPR One, dozens of “relaxing sounds” type streams, many others aren’t available on Sonos via Alexa due to this basic omission.
Hate to just leave a +1 in the void, but hopefully this is on Sonos/Amazon/NPR’s product roadmap
Re-up, I bought this for Sonos + NPR by voice. Hopefully the prevents someone else from making the same mistake, as I’m amazed to say I wish I’d just gotten an echo instead.
Same here. It was working fine and then after I did the recent Sonos Controller 9.2 update, it no longer works. In this screen recording, you can see that the Alexa command has been heard to initiated NPR One, but it's not able to playback the audio. It keeps trying (and failing) to start the audio playback.

Meanwhile, initiating NPR One via an Echo device works fine.