Answered

Sonos One November 2017 Support Google Assistant

• 18 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Will my existing Sonos one have support to Google assistant in next year or near future? Or do I have to purchase a new Sonos one get Google assistant. My current sonos one with Alexa really is pathetic and I’m really looking forward to have Sonos one with Google assistant. I hope I don’t have to buy a brand-new Sonos one with Google assistant. Could you please confirm if the new hardware purchase with Google assistant going to waste my money.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 19 November 2017, 02:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I am 100% positive the current Sonos One will be compatible with the Google Assistant support coming next year. It's a brand new product, it would be pretty silly if they developed a brand new product only to be outdated in a few months.
I was going to ask the same thing.. I have 3 Sonos Ones' and the Alexa side of things is dire.. Cant even tell me if its connected to the internet... Any ideas as to when this software update is due ???
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I was going to ask the same thing.. I have 3 Sonos Ones' and the Alexa side of things is dire.. Cant even tell me if its connected to the internet... Any ideas as to when this software update is due ???

Hi Riffer

Can you explain your specific problem and we can try and help you sort it out.

If you can't control music via voice control then please follow the actions I've listed in the answer in this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Thanks for the reply UKmedia. The problem has stemmed from my trial run of spotify premium running out.. I now ask for music and i get 'sorry i cant help you with that' or 'sorry there's a problem'. Ive now joined spotify premium but it still wont play music from spotify.. Now even when i ask ' Alexa are you connected to the internet' i get 'sorry there's a problem' I have noticed though that i have duplicate devices, so i have 3 sonos one'.. kitchen, lounge and bedroom, all named kitchen lounge, bedroom but i also have as registered devices chris's sonos one 1, chris's sonos one 2, chris's sonos one 3.. Do you think this will be causing an issue ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes very probably, I have named all of my Sonos players by adding 'Sonos' to each room name. E.g Kitchen Sonos, Lounge Sonos, etc It may also be worth removing your Spotify account from Sonos and from Alex and re-adding with your new account details.

Can you ask 'Alexa, what is the time'?

It may be worth using the PC app https://alexa.amazon.co.uk and selecting Smart Home>Devices>Forget All and then Discover.

Sorry for the multiple edits. Have you named your three Sonos One's in the Sonos app Setttings>Room Settings?
I've disabled Alexa on my Sonos One, it's (and the Echo Dots that I have, are) too hit and miss with voice recognition and will randomly miss-hear things on the TV. I've replaced the Echo Dots with Google Home Minis and the issue of random recognition hardly ever occurs now.

I'm really looking forward to Sonos rolling out Google integration. I think it'll be much better than aggravating Alexa!
Badge
I would be interested in knowing from those that maybe have Alexa if you can control all the speakers with only one that has voice assistant. I won't buy Alexa but I am hoping this will be a feature in Google Home. I think it was a another bad move by Sonos to develpe for Alexa first when it has been so limited to countries. They should have went for Google Assistant..but hey
I have been using Google assistant with my sonos in my living room already. I say Ok Google play ...to living room TV and then when the Tv turns itself on, the audio goes out my playbar/sub....
You can control any of your Sonos units from any Alexa device. You can't group at this time via Alexa, but you can play to one grouped via the Sonos app.
I've disabled Alexa on my Sonos One, it's (and the Echo Dots that I have, are) too hit and miss with voice recognition and will randomly miss-hear things on the TV. I've replaced the Echo Dots with Google Home Minis and the issue of random recognition hardly ever occurs now.

I'm really looking forward to Sonos rolling out Google integration. I think it'll be much better than aggravating Alexa!

The Alexa recognition issue was fixed the other day, be sure to update to the 8.2.3 release on your One. It now works as well as an Echo.
Badge
You can control any of your Sonos units from any Alexa device. You can't group at this time via Alexa, but you can play to one grouped via the Sonos app. So does thi smean you won't need a sonos speaker with alexia to control your sonos speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You can control any of your Sonos units from any Alexa device. You can't group at this time via Alexa, but you can play to one grouped via the Sonos app. So does thi smean you won't need a sonos speaker with alexia to control your sonos speakers?

Correct. If you Enable the Sonos skill then any Alexa device will be able to control your Sonos players but you will need to include the Room name in the command. e.g. 'Play music on Kitchen Sonos' where Kitchen Sonos is the name of a room in the Sonos app.