Question

Sonos One not working with alexa

• 26 October 2017
  • 9 replies

I've always been a really big fan of Sonos products but the Sonos one leaves a lot to be desired. I have discovered the device with the Alexa app and it does work with my hue lights but on an ad hoc basis. It does not always seem to hear me where as my Amazon Echo dot has a much better response response success rate. If I ask it to play radio stations and songs if then tells me it's playing it, but nothing comes out the speakers. I sold my Sonos Play 5 and one of my Echo dots for this and I am already deeply regretting it. Was going to buy another Sonos one to stereo pair them but I'm not going to bother and I will probably send this back as it's not ready for real world use. I love Sonos and had great experiences and service from them before but this speaker is toilet. So disappointing

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Works great for me. You may want to check your settings (erase what you had before and start over).
Try the troubleshooting tips here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4345
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I've always been a really big fan of Sonos products but the Sonos one leaves a lot to be desired. I have discovered the device with the Alexa app and it does work with my hue lights but on an ad hoc basis. It does not always seem to hear me where as my Amazon Echo dot has a much better response response success rate. If I ask it to play radio stations and songs if then tells me it's playing it, but nothing comes out the speakers. I sold my Sonos Play 5 and one of my Echo dots for this and I am already deeply regretting it. Was going to buy another Sonos one to stereo pair them but I'm not going to bother and I will probably send this back as it's not ready for real world use. I love Sonos and had great experiences and service from them before but this speaker is toilet. So disappointing
That's similar to my experience and exactly how I feel about Sonos just now. Have also found their support to be so much slower and unhelpful than usual.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Wish I could post a video I shot on my iphone of me barking numerous orders at my Sonos One. Requesting songs by a specific artist (Amazon Prime music), skipping tracks, switching to a Pandora station, switching to a tunein radio station , etc. all smooth as butter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

This is a good way to start. I also encourage disabling the skill and re-enabling it. Then discover devices again.

We're constantly working on the Sonos One and voice control, so there are going to continue to be improvements.

Voice control in particular requires a lot of data to get right, and the Sonos One is still learning.
Works great for me. You may want to check your settings (erase what you had before and start over). tried removing the skill, rebooted about 4 times
I then completely deleted Alexa from the Sonos and readded. Seems to be working ok now. Not as easy to setup as my other Sonos gear and I'm no novice but this appears to be more of an Alexa issue.

Still does not seem recognise when I say Alexa as well as my echo dot.

Hopefully the software gets some tweeks.

God I love and hate technology in equal measure lol

This is a good way to start. I also encourage disabling the skill and re-enabling it. Then discover devices again.

We're constantly working on the Sonos One and voice control, so there are going to continue to be improvements.

Voice control in particular requires a lot of data to get right, and the Sonos One is still learning.

Seems a bit too trial and error for me at times. I appreciate it's not easy and there is a lot of work behind the scenes but Alexa does add a layer of complexity to an otherwise for simple setup process.
That's similar to my experience and exactly how I feel about Sonos just now. Have also found their support to be so much slower and unhelpful than usual.

This is exactly the experience I’ve had with my Sonos One. I love sonos and was super thrilled when I heard the news that sonos and Amazon were partnering. Have tried everything to make the One work and function as it was meant to. Since it only hears me when I am right next to it, I just do not bother with it anyone. I’m actually not sure what to do with it.
I decided to keep it. Going to trust Sonos on this one as I do think they will rectify the issues with updates. To be fair, it's the Alexa side letting it down so fingers crossed it improves over time.

Bit of a gamble but such is my love for Sonos