Sonos One not waking to "Alexa"

• 9 February 2018
  • 13 replies

I have been using my Sonos One regularly for many months. The devices have stopped waking to the Alexa wake up work a few days ago. I have restarted the devices, updated the controller, disable/enabled Alexa skill and rediscovered devices. The device is showing correctly in all apps (Sonos + Alexa) and can be controlled fine through the app. There just isn't any voice recognition. Ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Strangely, after having worked fine since I bought it at Xmas, Alexa was struggling to work for me today too! I'd have to shout out ALEXA for it to wake. My music was at the same level as it normally is and still nothing!

Has there been a recent FW update? If so, does it auto update?
Firmware updates are pushed to the devices when the mobile app or desktop controller are updated. New updates are frequently available (seems like every other week)
Firmware updates are pushed to the devices when the mobile app or desktop controller are updated. New updates are frequently available (seems like every other week)

Thanks Daskel. That may well explain it I hope. Hopefully a new FW will be released soon.
Hi there, everyone. Thanks for posting about this. Are you still having problems with this? If so, please give our support technicians a call so we can troubleshoot this with you in real time. Thanks!
Hi there, everyone. Thanks for posting about this. Are you still having problems with this? If so, please give our support technicians a call so we can troubleshoot this with you in real time. Thanks!

Hi Keith, thanks for your reply and offer for help. Do you have a UK number I can call on please?
No worries at all. Call us on 0800 026 1526

We are available Monday through Friday 9am - 5pm.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I'm having the same issues. What time zone are you?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you just check that the small white round light is still displayed on the top of the Sonos One? If not, then the Mic has been turned off accidentally; just touch the Mic symbol again to toggle back on.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can you just check that the small white round light is still displayed on the top of the Sonos One? If not, then the Mic has been turned off accidentally; just touch the Mic symbol again to toggle back on.

That's the first thing I check. My solution was to turn the mic off, wait a few seconds, then turn it on again. This seems to have helped, and things are close to as they were.
Hi there, chris4x4. I'm based out of Sonos HQ in Santa Barbara, CA. While I'm not available for a phone conversation directly, we have friendly support technicians available all over the world who can work with you to get to the bottom of it. 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi there, chris4x4. I'm based out of Sonos HQ in Santa Barbara, CA. While I'm not available for a phone conversation directly, we have friendly support technicians available all over the world who can work with you to get to the bottom of it. :D it seems to be working fine since I turned the Mic off, then on.
I've weirdly been having the same issue as well across all 5 of my Sonos Ones. Had them since around Thanksgiving, and they were hit or miss with the wakeword initially. There was an update between then and now that specifically mentioned responsiveness would be improved, and it indeed was until about a week or so ago, when I started having the same issues mentioned above. I'll try re-toggling the mic button to see if it helps, otherwise I guess I'll be giving support a call.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Turn the Mic off and give it 10 seconds or so, then turn it back on. I did that to mine, and it worked.