Question

Sonos one - Nest voice control

• 4 November 2017
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Has anyone had any luck in having Alexa access their Nest thermostat, or any other smart devices? I have the skills added and linked, but Alexa cannot find my nest thermostats, iHome smart plugs, or Arlo Pro cameras. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Badge
I have a Nest thermostat and My Sonos One is able to increase/decrease the temp as well as tell me what the current temp is. Have you tried disabling & reenabling the skill? Does Alexa discover the thermostat?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've had no issues controlling my Hue lights via Sonos One. I haven't yet decided on a smart thermostat yet.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Tomviv, yes, I have tried your suggestion. Maybe I will remove everything thing, and reset the sonos one as well.
Badge
For those that are successful controlling your hue lights and thermostat etc with a Sonos One, do you have other alexa devices? If so which ones? I am thinking the sonos will have an issue if say you don't have a echo plus or hub elsewhere in the home....just a guess. Thanks everyone
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos One controls my smarthome same as any Alexa device.

You have to have devices setup properly in alexa app.
Badge
Thanks Chris - do you have other Alexa devices - I am thinking about buying a sonos one. ( I have other sonos devices) Currently I have only played with Google Home
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have an echo, an echo show, 6 echo dots, and a Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I also have nest, smartthings, rachio, Logitech harmony, Sonos and hue all controlled via alexa devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I just walked into my bathroom and used Sonos One to turn off my bedroom tv (via harmony smartphone ability). Then I asked it to turn on my bedroom light (via hue ability) and asked it the downstairs temperature (via nest ability). All functioned without flaw.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My echo show is linked with my arlo and I can bring up cameras on the show. No real use with my arlo and the echo dots or Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In screenshot shown of Alexa app smarthome section this page shows downstairs (one of my nests) and front door (an arlo). You can see some Sonos speakers on this screen and hue lights as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m. It sure why I have two dining room lights...hmmm I Need to check that out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ahhh. It’s being duplicated. One version direct from hue bridge and the other via smartthings. Same light two methods of accessing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Fixed. Went into smartthings app Alexa smartspp and removed diningroom as light to allow in alexa (prefer just use the hue direct connection vs routing through smartthings in this case).
Badge
Thanks Chris
I will try a sonos one to see where that leads me
Can you use more than one harmony hub so that you can control other tVs
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You may need to reset skills in alexa app. Don’t think you will need to reset Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes I have two harmony hubs. I have one in my bedroom and one in my living room. So I can control both via alexa.

On multiple occasions I have freaked out my wife as upstairs is called bedroom tv and downstairs just tv.

So if I walk in bedroom and forget and say “alexa turn on tv” instead of “alexa turn on bedroom tv” Alexa turns on downstairs tv - and normally happens late evening when no one downstairs.