Question

Sonos One: Multiroom and pairing.

• 13 December 2017
  • 4 replies

Hi guys.

New to smart home tech...so please bear with me...!!

I currently have the Sonos Playbar in my bedroom and a Sonos One in my lounge; and often Alexa doesnt hear me clearly if i'm in the adjacent room (open plan).

Is there anyway to boost her microphone, perhaps?

OR...If I was to purchase another Sonos One; would Alexa be unified for both the devices? i.e. If I want to play something/ask her to control the lights, will both Alexas answer? And if not, will the device that does answer be the one that plays the song/controls the lighting? And will that be on both the Sonos One speakers...?

I've been looking into Amazon's own Alexa systems to see if i could just have an Alexa device in the adjoining room so that she can hear me...and subsequently play/action my requests for the Sonos One and Smart Lights..?
This would save me 180 quid; but from what I've read, is this indeed restrictive?

Any ideas guys?

Cheers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi MickeyFD

There is no function to increase the sensitivity of the mic on the Sonos One, you will need to increase the number of Alexa devices. You have a number of choices to give you extended voice control, either:

1/ Buy another Sonos One for an additional room with no current Sonos speaker, or:
2/ Buy an Echo Dot for a room that has another Sonos speaker other than a Sonos One.

Some comments on having multiple Alexa devices:

1/ Be clear with your naming standards; I use Room Name + Device Type, e.g. Kitchen Sonos & Kitchen Echo Dot
2/ If both devices hear your activation command then the closest one will answer and the other will ignore.
3/ Alexa commands other than music will play out of the device triggered;
4/ To output music to a Sonos device using an Echo Dot, you will need to specify the room name. e.g. 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos' - If you issue the command to the Sonos One then you don't require the room name 'Alexa, Play soft jazz'
5/ If you want to output to multiple Sonos devices then group them in the Sonos app as normal (e.g. Kitchen Sonos and Bedroom Sonos) and then ask 'Alexa, play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos' (or Bedroom Sonos) will output to both Kitchen and Bedroom Sonos devices.

Note: If you change any of your Sonos names as I've suggested then you will need to open the Alexa App on your PC via https://alexa.amazon.co.uk and select Smart Home>Devices and scroll to the bottom of the list and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'.

If you have any further questions on set-up, then please come back here and ask - we are happy to help. 🙂
Thank you UKMedia. I'll buy a Sonos Play speaker and attach an echo for it. What a silly thing that Sonos One doesnt have better microphone sensitivity...!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you UKMedia. I'll buy a Sonos Play speaker and attach an echo for it. What a silly thing that Sonos One doesnt have better microphone sensitivity...!

The mic sensitivity is a software controlled variable and is being tweaked but there is a balance between this and false 'wakes'. It is getting better as time goes on but still some way to go...
Badge
Hi guys.

OR...If I was to purchase another Sonos One; would Alexa be unified for both the devices? i.e. If I want to play something/ask her to control the lights, will both Alexas answer? And if not, will the device that does answer be the one that plays the song/controls the lighting? And will that be on both the Sonos One speakers...?

Cheers.
from what i've read, if you have 2x sonos one, the speaker closest to you will accept your voice commands, not both at the same time. i have a 2nd Sonos One coming tomorrow, so i'm gonna test that myself and see how well it works.