Sonos one (lack of) features

• 13 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
Creating a Smart Home not so easy !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge
Hello, I want to share my experience . (Dutch speaking). Professional network IT .
I live in Europe (Belgium) and I want to create a smart-smart home.
This is the setup I have: 2 Sonos-one, 1 Sonos-Playbar, 2 Logitech-harmony-hub and remote (control every infrared device), 1 Samsung smarting (controlling z-wave and ZigBee smart devices), 2 echo dot devices . and the app Yonomo (great app that has the Sonos Developer certification ! ) and IFFT .
Al my account an set up with US account (Harmony, Sonos, Smart things hub )
What are the features that is missing :
Multi room audio : not compatible between Sonos and echo (i think every company want to protect their multi room audio protocol/mechanism)
Sonos One , ONLY Sonos command (play, stop, volume, ...) are working and NATIVE Alexa command (Time, alarm, calendar, weather, ..)
But big disappointment is that audio output from skills does NOT work on Sonos one .. like using the "sleeping sound" skill, audio station skill,..
Harmony Skill and Plex NOT supported (yet) in Europe (Belgium ) --> using Yonomo as work around for Logitech Harmony Hub’s ...(cloud delay !!! )
Missing Sonos-one with POE .. would not need power adapter anymore ! (I have POE switches)
Sonos-one does a less good job of understanding the “Wake” word when there is music playing then the Alexa-dot devices
Sonos-one lost the connection with PLEX server (music database on-site using with audio station skill) after update

Still a long way to go “connecting” everything..
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello, I want to share my experience . (Dutch speaking). Professional network IT .
I live in Europe (Belgium) and I want to create a smart-smart home.
This is the setup I have: 2 Sonos-one, 1 Sonos-Playbar, 2 Logitech-harmony-hub and remote (control every infrared device), 1 Samsung smarting (controlling z-wave and ZigBee smart devices), 2 echo dot devices . and the app Yonomo (great app that has the Sonos Developer certification ! ) and IFFT .
Al my account an set up with US account (Harmony, Sonos, Smart things hub )
What are the features that is missing :
Multi room audio : not compatible between Sonos and echo (i think every company want to protect their multi room audio protocol/mechanism)
Sonos One , ONLY Sonos command (play, stop, volume, ...) are working and NATIVE Alexa command (Time, alarm, calendar, weather, ..)
But big disappointment is that audio output from skills does NOT work on Sonos one .. like using the "sleeping sound" skill, audio station skill,..
Harmony Skill and Plex NOT supported (yet) in Europe (Belgium ) --> using Yonomo as work around for Logitech Harmony Hub’s ...(cloud delay !!! )
Missing Sonos-one with POE .. would not need power adapter anymore ! (I have POE switches)
Sonos-one does a less good job of understanding the “Wake” word when there is music playing then the Alexa-dot devices
Sonos-one lost the connection with PLEX server (music database on-site using with audio station skill) after update

Still a long way to go “connecting” everything..

Hi

Just a few comments on your post:

'Multi room audio : not compatible between Sonos and echo (i think every company want to protect their multi room audio protocol/mechanism)'

As Sonos uses a different syncing approach to Amazon it is easy to achieve a synchronised audio across multiple devices from multiple manufactures.

'Sonos One , ONLY Sonos command (play, stop, volume, ...) are working and NATIVE Alexa command (Time, alarm, calendar, weather, ..)'

All of my Smart home devices are controllable from my Sonos One with the exception of triggering Audio.

'But big disappointment is that audio output from skills does NOT work on Sonos one .. like using the "sleeping sound" skill, audio station skill,..'

Agreed. :)

'Harmony Skill and Plex NOT supported (yet) in Europe (Belgium ) --> using Yonomo as work around for Logitech Harmony Hub’s ...(cloud delay !!! )'

and

'Sonos-one lost the connection with PLEX server (music database on-site using with audio station skill) after update'

The Plex integration is developed by Plex and I don't think this is at the top of their development list!