Question

sonos one just installed on my PC, plays music fine, why wont alexa respond?

• 17 November 2017
  • 16 replies

Badge
sonos one just installed on my PC, plays music fine, why wont alexa respond?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

You have to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and turn on the microphone.
Badge
what alexa app? I went to amazon... it just keeps sending me in circles to find an android app... I am trying to run this from my PC
Go here:

https://alexa.amazon.com/

Login with your Amazon credentials, then choose "Skills" from the menu on the left. Search for the Sonos skill, then enable it.
Badge
jesus this is a royal pain in the ass... the page now says my skills are enabled but I still don't know where I am supposed to turn on the microphone???? is that in the alexa app? which does NOT exist anywhere on my PC, or is that in my SONOS app which has no drop down that says anything about microphone or alexa
The microphones are turned on by pressing the button marked with the microphone symbol on top of the unit. When on, an LED will light up to alert you that the unit is listening.

In all honestly, all of this is covered in the manual and the FAQ page here:

ttps://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4347
Badge
in all honesty... I have SONOS support on the phone now... and they have confirmed it is NOT me failing to follow directions... their device is NOT connecting properly... thanks for the responses followed by the condescending assumption I don't know how to follow directions
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi richmoldovan

The challenge for you is that not all functions are available on the PC app for Alexa or Sonos, you will need to use either an iOS or Android version of the app for some functionality to be accessible. With regard to the microphone, this is indicated by a white light on the top of the physical speaker below the microphone symbol. If this is not lit then press the symbol and this will toggle the mic on and off.

The Alexa functionality is available via an internet browser as per the instructions from jgatie above. If you are from the UK then replace .com with .co.uk which as you've enabled the Sonos skill you must now have found.

I posted the following list of actions for resetting voice control but this will explain which application you need to use to undertake which action for the set-up:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239

Let us know how you get on and if you have further problems can you please identify which steps in the above post you were to complete successfully so that we know where the problem is in the overall set-up process
Badge
and for anyone who is following along... phone support has now confirmed: in order to ENABLE the voice control on the SONOS ONE... you MUST have a mobile device. voice control CANNOT be enabled from a PC. those are the words from phone senior tech support. would have saved me HOURS if the link above that mr jgatie had posted and that I was using from minute one had stated that VERY CLEARLY... instead the instructions simply state to proceed using ALEXA APP. and everyone tells you "OH SURE.. ALEXA APP RUNS ON PC...NO PROBLEM" - WRONG!!!!
Badge
finally using a TABLET allowed voice control to work... alexa is speaking through my SONOS... but apparently she cant see the play lists inside my SONOS app... suddenly alexa is becoming useless
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Alexa doesn't support the starting of Sonos Playlist at present but you can control them after they are started via Alexa.
and for anyone who is following along... phone support has now confirmed: in order to ENABLE the voice control on the SONOS ONE... you MUST have a mobile device. voice control CANNOT be enabled from a PC. those are the words from phone senior tech support. would have saved me HOURS if the link above that mr jgatie had posted and that I was using from minute one had stated that VERY CLEARLY... instead the instructions simply state to proceed using ALEXA APP. and everyone tells you "OH SURE.. ALEXA APP RUNS ON PC...NO PROBLEM" - WRONG!!!!As far as I can see, nobody suggested that you can use an Alexa app on a PC to enable a skill. The link supplied by @jgatie showed that you can enable the Sonos skill USING a PC by logging into your Amazon account.
@richmoldovan, you are right. Jgatie should have stopped wasting his free time trying to help after it was clear that you were completely unappreciative.
@richmoldovan, you are right. Jgatie should have stopped wasting his free time trying to help after it was clear that you were completely unappreciative.

I thought I had. 😉
Badge
and for anyone who is following along... phone support has now confirmed: in order to ENABLE the voice control on the SONOS ONE... you MUST have a mobile device. voice control CANNOT be enabled from a PC. those are the words from phone senior tech support. would have saved me HOURS if the link above that mr jgatie had posted and that I was using from minute one had stated that VERY CLEARLY... instead the instructions simply state to proceed using ALEXA APP. and everyone tells you "OH SURE.. ALEXA APP RUNS ON PC...NO PROBLEM" - WRONG!!!!As far as I can see, nobody suggested that you can use an Alexa app on a PC to enable a skill. The link supplied by @jgatie showed that you can enable the Sonos skill USING a PC by logging into your Amazon account.

look at my first comment john b... I stated that I am working from a PC

look at my first comment john b... I stated that I am working from a PC
My point was that you misinterpreted what was said. Which you have just done again