Answered

Sonos One issues

• 13 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
I would be interested in people’s views on the new Alexa enabled Sonos? I purchased on the other week but find its functionality very limited. It will not fully operate my other Sonos units. In addition to this I have it connected to my Hue lighting system although it works some of the time I do find it very temperamental
icon

Best answer by Clinical Precision 13 November 2017, 13:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
I purchased 3 Sonos One's on release date (one for me and 2 for the kids for Christmas). Initially I was very happy with it and the Alexa integration but having played with it for a few weeks, it's just not there yet. This is to be expected I guess , as it is a public beta, but nevertheless is frustrating. As others have reported we have to shout at it for it to hear us (the dots we have don't have this issue) or it wakes up with an infuriating doing when we aren't talking to it (again our dots don't do this). Sonos have confirmed this is a software issue and they are working on it but that is of no comfort to my wife who is ready to throw the thing out the window!
On the positive, when it does it does hear you it responds as it should and I have had no issues with music playback that some seem to have. I also like that with the One you do not have to specify the room name.
With respect to lights, we have Hive and it has had no issues controlling these. There was an evening we thought it did but it turned out the Hive cloud was down so not a One issue!
I'm sure over time (and when it is a full public release, rather than beta) things will improve. There are little things that would make a big difference at the moment though - allowing you to change the wake word and being able to turn the wake 'ding' off are both available customization in the dots we have, these should be implemented on the Sonos One.
So there are some good points and bad points and I have mixed feelings at the moment about it.
Because of this we will be sending back the kids speakers (and going with the original plan of dots to go with their current play 1s) but I am keeping one One. I'm hoping this will show the improvements over the next year, so that the kids can get them Christmas 2018!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I would be interested in people’s views on the new Alexa enabled Sonos? I purchased on the other week but find its functionality very limited. It will not fully operate my other Sonos units. In addition to this I have it connected to my Hue lighting system although it works some of the time I do find it very temperamental

Overall I'm happy but the current lack of Spotify support (Being delivered on 21st Dec 2017), means that I start my music from the app and then control afterwards.

I can control all of my Sonos players, although being able to group players by Voice Control would be nice but not yet possible. Also I can control all of my Smart Home devices via the Sonos 1. In addition, as I have Google Home as well, I'm looking forward to trying the Sonos 1 with different AI's in early 2018.

So overall, happy and excited about the next 6 months. 🙂
Badge
Hopefully they are short term issues, probably to be expected with any new launch. Hope there is a update soon.
I agree with much of this. I think the speaker is great, but the mic is horrible. Orders of magnitude worse that other Echo devices including the dot. So bad that I put my dot back in the room by the sonos one. Extremely disappointed. Had a known the mic quality, I would not have bought this.
I have been very disappointed with it. Worked for a short while but it cut out my 4 other Sonos speakers meaning l could not use them at the same time. Why? Also l downloaded a few apps for Alexia but none worked. Will be asking for a refund. Shame really a l like Sonos.