Answered

Sonos One - Do I Need to Buy an Alexa Device?

• 4 October 2017
  • 9 replies

Hello. I saw the announcement of the Sonos One and the Alexa integration. If I get the Sonos One, will I need to buy an additional Alexa device?
icon

Best answer by chicks 4 October 2017, 20:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No, it has Alexa built in.
You can also use an existing Alexa device without having to purchase the Sonos One, if you already have an echo or dot.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
chicks nailed it in under a minute. Professional level work there.
So I need to buy different Sonos to work with Alexa? Because I have 2 play 1s sub and playbar.
Basically the Sonos One is a Play One with Alexa built into it. Eventually from what I've read, Google and Apple (Siri / Home Pod) will integrate. Very cool. I have a pretty large investment for Sonos - Three 1s, two 3s one 5, a playbar and a sub. It's great that they will all integrate together.
So I need to buy different Sonos to work with Alexa? Because I have 2 play 1s sub and playbar.

No, you will not, assuming you already own an Alexa enabled device. If you don't own an Alexa enabiled device, you will need to one. An echo, a dot, one of the many others, or the Sonos One.

Note: I'm assuming you can't control sonos from the Amazon music app, but I could be wrong about that.
question, assume i have bought a new Sonos One with Alexia and the software is also setup on my 2x Play1 and 2x play 3, given they don't have microphones so what is the range one the new Sonos One for receiving commands? have to be in the same room?
Userlevel 3
question, assume i have bought a new Sonos One with Alexia and the software is also setup on my 2x Play1 and 2x play 3, given they don't have microphones so what is the range one the new Sonos One for receiving commands? have to be in the same room?

Definitely same room and preferably about a foot away screaming 'ALEXAAAA!' at it in my experience. The mics aren't that sensitive. Check out other threads - there are plenty of posts about this . Apparently there are software improvements that can be made to increase sensitivity to the wake word. Not sure when these will be implemented though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I made use of the Black Friday discounts on the Echo Dot and placed a few of these in rooms other than where the Sonos One was located.