Sonos One CONSTANTLY loses Alexa

Userlevel 1
Badge

I estimate my Sonos One forgets Alexa every other day. De-registering everything and having to set up Amazon etc all over again every time is driving me mad, especially in lockdown when I am at home all day and my Sonos One is in the room where I work and I rely it for all sorts of things. Surely this is not normal? Anyone else experienced anything as frustrating?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When you say your Sonos One ‘Forgets Alexa’, do you mean it stops responding to voice commands or something else?

Can you follow the steps in this post and see if it resolves your issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, it stops responding to voice commands completely. At first all I had to do was disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app but now I have to go online, deregister the device in Amazon, log out of Amazon on all my apps etc etc. Takes about 10 minutes each time, which is pretty awful. Will check your recommendations now and see if they help. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Yes, it stops responding to voice commands completely. At first all I had to do was disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app but now I have to go online, deregister the device in Amazon, log out of Amazon on all my apps etc etc. Takes about 10 minutes each time, which is pretty awful. Will check your recommendations now and see if they help. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Hi, did you ever get a fix to this?  My issue is exactly the same, Alexa works for a few hours and then stops working and i have to deregister everything and start again, and again, and again….. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, did you ever get a fix to this?  My issue is exactly the same, Alexa works for a few hours and then stops working and i have to deregister everything and start again, and again, and again….. 

Did you try the steps I recommended?

Did you try the steps I recommended?

Hi

Its tricky because of the number of devices in the house.  Doorbells, cameras, lightbulbs, plug sockets … the list goes on.  Resetting them all is a pain when this happens...  I really appreciate your post but I am more interested in whether Sonos have a more permanent fix really - I’m on the verge of getting rid of my Sonos One and putting my Play 1 back and a separate echo dot I have spare as that worked fine 

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have a FritzBox router.

There’s only one wired device attached to the network (a Hive hub).

Wireless devices that communicate directly, and wirelessly, with the router include a FritzBox signal booster, a number of smart speakers in addition to our Sonos, our laptops, iPad, TV and iPhones.

Wireless devices that depend on the network but communicate via the Hive hub include our thermostat, boiler, security lights, security camera and Hive signal booster.

You can see why I haven’t rushed to turn all of these off and on again…

So if we follow your instructions, are you saying that we should turn all of these devices off before rebooting the router and then wait until it has rebooted before turning them on again? Surely otherwise each device will reconnect with the router as soon as it is visible again, and be allocated an IP address beginning the problem all over again?

We have a FritzBox router.

There’s only one wired device attached to the network (a Hive hub).

Wireless devices that communicate directly, and wirelessly, with the router include a FritzBox signal booster, a number of smart speakers in addition to our Sonos, our laptops, iPad, TV and iPhones.

Wireless devices that depend on the network but communicate via the Hive hub include our thermostat, boiler, security lights, security camera and Hive signal booster.

You can see why I haven’t rushed to turn all of these off and on again…

So if we follow your instructions, are you saying that we should turn all of these devices off before rebooting the router and then wait until it has rebooted before turning them on again? Surely otherwise each device will reconnect with the router as soon as it is visible again, and be allocated an IP address beginning the problem all over again?

Not sure if this is just coincidence but we also have a fritzbox, from Zen.  Hmm… 🧐 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Starsi360. I feel the same. Why is it that the Sonos One is the only wireless device in the house that has this problem?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yup, we are with Zen too

Thanks Starsi360. I feel the same. Why is it that the Sonos One is the only wireless device in the house that has this problem?

Yes, the Sonos system all works perfectly, my echo dots all work fine, no other issues.  But the bloody Sonos One’s just won’t keep Alexa for more than a few hours.  I can literally sit an echo dot next to the Sonos one and use that for Alexa instead, setting it to play via the Sonos one and that works fine!  Ridiculous!! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I tried contacting Zen tech support. They said the FRITZ!Box router had two channels and maybe this was confusing the Sonos One so they have turned one of them off, or hidden it or something. I’ve reset the Sonos One (again!) and keeping my fingers crossed this fix will work.

It’s frustrating when it won’t respond to my voice commands to actively do something like play music, but even worse when it doesn’t respond to commands to STOP doing something like playing music - so embarassing if I have to take a work call and the only solution is to go over to the device and turn it off at the mains

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You need to reserve the IP addresses in the router before rebooting. I know it's a pain but it's something that you only have to do once. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

That doesn’t answer my question from earlier, though. Do you have to disable every wi-fi enabled device in the house BEFORE rebooting the router?

And your most recent answer and the linked suggests somehow we have to go into the router’s control panel to reserve addresses for particular devices. How do you do that? That’s not something I’ve ever done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That doesn’t answer my question from earlier, though. Do you have to disable every wi-fi enabled device in the house BEFORE rebooting the router?

And your most recent answer and the linked suggests somehow we have to go into the router’s control panel to reserve addresses for particular devices. How do you do that? That’s not something I’ve ever done.

Can you confirm your router make and model and I'll try to help.

The best order is to reserve addresses, reboot the router and then connected devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi UKMedia. We have a FRITZ!Box 7530.

I’ve now reset all the devices in the house and the Sonos One definitely is not using the same IP address as any other network device (I’m looking at them all now on IP Scanner).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi UKMedia. We have a FRITZ!Box 7530.

I’ve now reset all the devices in the house and the Sonos One definitely is not using the same IP address as any other network device (I’m looking at them all now on IP Scanner).

Is the problem fixed now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In the manual here on page 141 - Always assigning the same IPv4 address.  This shows how to reserve an IP address.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks UKMedia. It’s working fine at the moment. Let’s give it a couple of days to see how it goes.

I estimate my Sonos One forgets Alexa every other day. De-registering everything and having to set up Amazon etc all over again every time is driving me mad, especially in lockdown when I am at home all day and my Sonos One is in the room where I work and I rely it for all sorts of things. Surely this is not normal? Anyone else experienced anything as frustrating?

I’ve been having the same issue since last week. Every day, when I ask Alexa something, it tells me I have to relink Alexa. Haven’t had many positive experiences with my Sonos one since the update mid year. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry to hear that, David. I’ve had more explanations than I can count from Sonos advisers - a recent one was that my Sonos One might be using the same ISP address as another device on my network, so I had to reinstall and reconfigure every device in the house (only to discover that this wasn’t the problem and realistically never would have been). I finally got through to someone who did have a good understanding of the issue - he posited that something in the same room was interfering with the Sonos One signal, and then proved it using diagnostics from the app. No idea why no thought of that before but I feel like I am making progress now!  I was also sent this in case it helps https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286?language=en_US

Still not sure why it appears to be mainly Zen Internet customers with FRITZ!Box routers who are affected, though. Does that apply to you?