Question

Sonos One competing with Echo Dot in same room

• 4 January 2018
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos One and an Echo Dot in the same (large) room. It seems that the Echo Dot seems to take over more requests than the Sonos (not sure if it's due to mic sensitivity or software issue). For example I'm clearly closer to the Sonos device and asked it to play music. Both devices listen but it seems that the Echo takes over the request most of the time.

What is the recommended workaround other than changing the Echo wake word and mentioning the Sonos one name every time when I want to play music there?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is there a reason to have both in the same room? The Amazon servers determine which device has received the clearest command and mutes the other device. You could change the wake word which would then make it easy to direct your command to the correct device - Alexa for Music and Computer for any other request. Or you could move the Echo Dot...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully Sonos will be able to implement echo-sonos default linking. So in that way the Dot in room with Sonos One will play to Sonos one without saying speaker name either. That is supposed to be something they have said they are trying to implement (solves the ducking issue too).