Question

sonos one as playbase surround, alexa stops working

• 18 November 2019
  • 5 replies

brand new playbase +sub and 2) sonos one as surrounds. works great as surround system -or- sonos one works great as stand alone alexa, but can not get both simultaneously. have read many forums firmware is up to date have tried adding sonos one individually to playbase room etc. once sonos one becomes part of surround system, alexa becomes unable to respond and control. also the process leaves one’s confused where sometimes they are both trying to listen but still of no help. i would like the sequence of steps to setup playbase +sub & 2) sonos one as a surround sound system, with one of the sonos one surrounds as the alexa assistant. thank you and standing by

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Reflecting a purely personal bias, I would swap the Ones for One SLs and buy an Echo Dot. Place the Dot wherever is best and get fully featured Alexa.  

You should be able to use Alexa on surround speakers though.

brand new playbase +sub and 2) sonos one as surrounds. works great as surround system -or- sonos one works great as stand alone alexa, but can not get both simultaneously. have read many forums firmware is up to date have tried adding sonos one individually to playbase room etc. once sonos one becomes part of surround system, alexa becomes unable to respond and control. also the process leaves one’s confused where sometimes they are both trying to listen but still of no help. i would like the sequence of steps to setup playbase +sub & 2) sonos one as a surround sound system, with one of the sonos one surrounds as the alexa assistant. thank you and standing by

If I’m understanding your post correctly, perhaps just tap the mic-light and switch the mic off on the one Surround speaker that you don’t wish to use. 

Same issue that I am having. I am temp using my Ones as surrounds until I can get SL or ikea bookshelves. I want to use Alexa. I unpaired the Ones. Added them as surrounds to my new playbase. And the mice are off and I am unable to turn them on. Would really like to use Alexa in my basement. Please help. 

Same issue that I am having. I am temp using my Ones as surrounds until I can get SL or ikea bookshelves. I want to use Alexa. I unpaired the Ones. Added them as surrounds to my new playbase. And the mice are off and I am unable to turn them on. Would really like to use Alexa in my basement. Please help. 

Goto “Settings/Services/Voice” in the Sonos App and choose to add Amazon Alexa to your Playbase by selecting its room name and following the onscreen instructions.

Wow! thank you so much. worked like a charm. I would have never gone that route.