SONOS ONE AND SONOS PLAY ONE CALL IT PLAY 2?

• 7 January 2018
  • 5 replies

I cannot believe that i am the only one who got it wrong and thought the Play One had Alexa. Could they have named it Play Two? I bought two of the Play one on sale to go with my Playbar then with support from Crutchfield purchased a Sonos One then found it would not pair with the the Sonos Play One so now am getting a second Sonos One to get rear speakers that work with my Playbar. All of this could have been solved by calling the new unit Sonos Play 2. This has taken a month and although it is all my fault except the support that suggested just to exchange one Play One which could be explained that he did not know I was using it as a surround, This seems crazy and I am very concerned that I will get it wrong with ordering a subwoofer. Is there some other thing I should know? Makes me tired of all the problems I have gone through. Then it was a problem trying to pair the missmatched speakers, then having to cancel and reinstall. Common tech support you have a great problem make it easier for the non techies.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I have said the same thing. The choice of name and the physical appearance invites people to assume that the Sonos One is a Play:1 with voice control, which it isn't. It was equally unhelpful not to have called the Play5 gen 2 the Play:6.
Same here,I bought 2 Play:1’s some weeks ago only to discover that these are not the same speakers as the Ones 😢 I love their sound but still I feel err fooled. Only solution is just sell 1 play:1 and replace it with a One? I can then stream to both my Play:1 and One as a stereo pair? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t want to fall into a wrong buy again 😉 Also,does the play;1 (used as channel L stereo) sound exactly the same as the One gen2 (channel R stereo). If not it would be impossible to use the play1 and One gen2 as a stereo pair.

Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Only solution is just sell 1 play:1 and replace it with a One? I can then stream to both my Play:1 and One as a stereo pair? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t want to fall into a wrong buy again 😉 Also,does the play;1 (used as channel L stereo) sound exactly the same as the One gen2 (channel R stereo). If not it would be impossible to use the play1 and One gen2 as a stereo pair.

You cannot use One and Play:1 as a stereo pair (or with beam etc for surround sound). You need either 2x Play:1 or 2x One
Only solution is just sell 1 play:1 and replace it with a One? I can then stream to both my Play:1 and One as a stereo pair? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t want to fall into a wrong buy again 😉 Also,does the play;1 (used as channel L stereo) sound exactly the same as the One gen2 (channel R stereo). If not it would be impossible to use the play1 and One gen2 as a stereo pair.

You cannot use One and Play:1 as a stereo pair (or with beam etc for surround sound). You need either 2x Play:1 or 2x One

Correct. To further clarify. Sonos One gen 1 and gen 2 CAN be used together as a stereo pair (or boned as surround.

Play:1 + Play:1 = Yes
Play:1 + Sons One gen 1 = NO
Play:1 + Sons One gen 2= NO
Sonos One gen 1 + Sonos One gen 1 = Yes
Sonos One gen 1 + Sonos One gen 2 = Yes
Sonos One gen 2 + Sonos One gen 1 = Yes
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Same here,I bought 2 Play:1’s some weeks ago only to discover that these are not the same speakers as the Ones 😢 I love their sound but still I feel err fooled. Only solution is just sell 1 play:1 and replace it with a One? I can then stream to both my Play:1 and One as a stereo pair? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t want to fall into a wrong buy again 😉 Also,does the play;1 (used as channel L stereo) sound exactly the same as the One gen2 (channel R stereo). If not it would be impossible to use the play1 and One gen2 as a stereo pair.

Tim, you can use the 3rd party iOS app "Sonosequencer" to pair Play:1 with Ones (Gen 1 and Gen 2). There's a thread somewhere in this community where IIRC owners had pretty good results with this. YMMV