Sonos one and pandora

• 13 June 2018
  • 4 replies

I may be duplicating another question here. If so, I apologize. just point me in the right direction

Anyway, just got a sonos one. I’m new to the smart home world. Got caseta leutron light switches and they’re working in sonos and in the leutron app. That’s just a little background info.

Friend came over a couple days ago and played a song on pandora. Now, when I tell Alexa to play pandora she defaults to the song my friend played. I can get sonos to play my pandora by going in through the app, but obviously, i don’t want to have to use my phone every time I want to play my pandora. And also of course, i’m hoping for much greater voice activated functionality.

Tried calling support today but the phone numbers I tried that I got off the net all wanted to sell me something.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Please try using the commands in this article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514?language=en_US
Yeah, no. It accepts commands. I can have it turn lights on and off and play channels on Pandora. It just doesn’t know how to shuffle. Pandora has thumbprint radio which plays songs you’ve given a thumbs up to. And I can shuffle my channels by going in through the sonos app or through the pandora app. Just not by voice command.

I called sonos. They said it was Amazon’s doing, since Alexa was’t understanding me though Sonos was. Amazon says since they can’t see the diagnostic the can’t troubleshoot it, so it’s Sonos’ problem. I’m going to call Sonos to ask for a copy of the diagnostic. See what Amazon says then.
anjru, you can use the Alexa app to see what command Alexa heard you say. Just look at the cards on the Home page, then select More on the right card. It may be that it's Alexa isn't hearing you right.

I use Pandora myself and never really had any issues with voice commands, but I honestly haven't tried to do shuffle. It looks like Alexa knows the shuffle function exists though, so I suspect it would work.

FYI, I believe the Sonos guys are correct. In most cases, it's Amazon Alexa's job to process your request and then send it to Sonos. I would guess that the Amazon tech support where just passing the buck/stalling since they claim they can't see a diagnostic. They clearly keep a history of all the voice commands and should be able to tell you what happened, and what command they have sent to the Sonos cloud.

I don't know that Sonos will give you a copy of the diagnostic. If they do, I'm not sure it's in a format that Amazon tech can do anything with.
As a sort of afterthought, here’s what went down after the last great post. Thought I’d replied earluer to thank you. Oops.

I’m in the process of moving to a new home so things are a little disjointed.

Anyway, I got Sonos working well enough but not great. But I was happy enough with it. I thought I’d read that Echoes and Dot’s Alexa works better than the one built in to Sonos. 😃 Turns out that’s a little off, too. Got two dots and an echo. But I couldn’t get them to sync with the Sonos. After an hour on the phone with Amazon, and getting elevated to talking with a team leader, or whatever they call themselves, she figured out that Sonos is wireless, not Bluetooth. So they’ll never sync. So I returned the Sonos the next day and bought. Bose Bluetooth speaker. I went for the soundtouch 10. It’s not designed to be portable but sounded the best.