Sonos One and Alexa

Alexa is connected but can't find any music

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

I had to reset my Sonos One due to a network change. I know I saw several articles that recommended against that. However, it is done. I was able to set it up to work on Sonos with a couple of Play 3's just fine. Also, the Alexa connection worked in that Alexa is enabled. I can ask the time, set alarms, etc. with voice. However, it refuses to find any music. I say, Alexa, play rock and roll, or anything else, and it says it can't find any. We have an Echo that does just fine with those commands. When I play through the Sonos app all is well, but voice is useless. When I pull up the Alexa app, I don't see the Sonos One separately identified, but I do see it listed as Bedroom, its Sonos name. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What happens if you say something like "Alexa play Bruno mars"

In your Alexa app what do you have as your default music service (what music service do you use as your primary).
Thanks for the response. When I select a specific artist ala Bruno Mars, the Sonos One via voice command still can't find anything. In my app, Amazon Music is selected as primary. I am a prime member, and the same commands work fine with the Echo in another room. It will play any artist or category fine, even when I direct it to play on the Sonos One via its name ("Bedroom"). The Sonos One just doesn't understand how to access any music at all when speaking to it directly. That said, it worked fine prior to the reset on the old network.
Did you add your Amazon Music account to the Sonos app? Is your subscription a full sub, or is it just for the Echo at $3.99/mo.?
The Amazon Music account is added in the Sonos app, and it is just the standard one that comes with Amazon Prime membership. I don't pay any extra cost. I can play songs in the Sonos app from the Amazon Music service just fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would try disabling the Sonos alexa skill and re-enable it in alexa app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What happens if you say Alexa play Bruno mars on amazon music.
I disabled and enabled the skill. When I tried to get the Sonos One to play music via the voice command, it now says that I can play music with Amazon Unlimited Music if I want to learn more. I choose not to, and it does nothing. I can repeat that with any artist or genre.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe you have to have unlimited since that’s what it says in Alexa app. What if you try picking pandora as the default In Alexa app or say Alexa play Bruno mars on Pandora.
I tried picking pandora as the default, and it still can't find anything. I get one of two responses every time. I couldn't find any "of what I am looking for (i.e., rock)" or it tries to get me to buy Amazon Unlimited Music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Cory

First off can you please toggle the mic off and then on again on the top of the Sonos One - make sure the small round white light is displayed, this indicates that the mic is active.

Can you open the Alexa App>Smart Home and check if you have all of your Sonos players listed? If not, then please ask Alexa to Discover Devices or use the Alexa App.

Once everything is discovered, can you check that you have no duplicate device names listed. If there are then please rename them in the source app and then rediscover devices again within the Alexa App.

Whilst the Alexa App>Smart Home will show a single device for your Sonos One, under Settings there should be two devices listed for each Sonos One. (One for the hardware and one for the Alexa component.) Can you confirm that is correct?

Lastly if it's still not working can you check the Alexa App>Settings>History and confirm that Alexa heard you correctly?
UKMedia, I think you found the issue, but I am not sure how to correct it. I only have one device listed for the Sonos One in my Alexa App. It is listed as "bedroom" as defined in the Sonos App. However, there isn't another one. I could have sworn there were two prior to my network switch. How would I go about getting the other item relisted? I tried resetting again, but still only come up with the "bedroom" listing on the Alexa app. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Is that in the Alexa App>Settings?

If yes, then please try the steps I've listed in the answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126

I suggest you test after each step as the steps get progressively more time consuming as you progress through the list.
Badge
I have been having the same issue. I have Spotify premium and have Spotify set up as the default music service. I asked Alexa to play the Greatest Showman... nothing. I rephrased my question and asked to play the Greatest Showman movie soundtrack... still could not find anything. I then launched the Spotify app and easily found the soundtrack to play.

I double checked the Alexa app history, and Alexa heard me correctly, but could not find anything. Is it because I am using Spotify?

I find myself rarely using the Alexa controls because they do t work well. This is too bad because it’s in my kitchen. Last thing I want to do is grab my phone with raw chicken hands.

Jason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you try the command ' Alexa, Play Greatest Showman Playlist'?
Badge
Hi

Can you try the command ' Alexa, Play Greatest Showman Playlist'?

Tried that, and it plays the Greatest Showman Ensemble

On spotify, the Album is actually called "The Greatest Showman (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack). I asked alexa to play exactly that, and she could not find it.

This must be an Alexa issue, because it does the same thing on my Echo Dot.