Question

Sonos One (Alexa) unreliable performance

Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 25 replies
So....I got the One, and I was never able to make it work like it was supposed to. Music from the App was never a problem, but the voice control always was. "Alexa, stop", and it wouldn't stop. "Alexa play XYZ", "playing XYZ (acknowledging command), and nothing happened. I tried the Ethernet (wired) option, and I got the same problems (so it wasn't the wifi). I exchanged the unit, and the replacement behaved the same way. Then I decided to test the same unit with my LTE data, from my cellphone. And it worked flawlessly! Voice control and Alexa finally worked with zero issues! I did another test: I took the Sonos One to a friend's house, and again, it worked very well, no errors at all. So yeah, obviously my network is not good enough for the Alexa control on the Sonos One. However....this is the only function that doesn't work properly. My iPhone, ipad, laptop, even the Sonos App, everything works well with the exception of the Alexa control on the Sonos One. I've read the comments here and on other store websites, and I am not the only one. Actually, if you go to Amazon comments section, a good 20% complain about similar issues. This is huge, and we cannot just blame "poor internet connections", when every other device works well. My internet average speed is 15mbps. Nothing stellar, but enough for any other application in my house. While I can confirm that my Sonos One works, it does need a very good internet. In other words, it doesn't seem very "efficient" or "forgiving". I wonder if all Sonos One's behave the same, I suspect yes. I am not sure about the Echo, google home, homepod, etc. I am just talking about Alexa on the One. Do you think the Alexa implementation should be more efficient? Is this just software? Could we expect an improvement in future updates? I don't feel like paying a more expensive internet, when everything else works. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

15mbps is more than enough for voice control and Sonos to work over, so we need to look elsewhere. I assume that you have booted your Router and any network switches? Can you let us know your Router make and product number and also any other network equipment?
Badge +1
Thank you UK for your reply. I tried my One, wired, and it didn't work properly either. So I don't think the router is the problem, but anyways I am using a D-Link DIR-601. As for the modem, it's a Thompson DCM475. I do experience internet interruptions, where I have to turn off and on the modem, but it's infrequent. Still, it could be related to the Alexa problem, who knows! But for example, I watch Netflix or a movie from iTunes from my apple TV, and I have no issues. That's why I believe the Sonos One is really "finicky". And many other users seem to feel the same way. I could still return the One.....what to do, what to do....Is the google home integration going to be better? Should I buy a new modem? (don't wanna spend more!). Thanks again.
Badge +1
Oh, and sure, I was with customer service for 2 hours (I kid you not), reset this, logout that, etc. Then they said "call Amazon". That was disappointing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Oh, and sure, I was with customer service for 2 hours (I kid you not), reset this, logout that, etc. Then they said "call Amazon". That was disappointing.

To be honest if the Sonos App is working okay and it's only the voice control that the problem is realised then it is likely to be an Alexa issue.

Normally I would suggest that you reset the voice control on the Sonos One but the fact that it works at your friends house does point to a network specfic issue. Have enable any firewall with either of the two devices? Let's try the following:

Power down the devices in this order letting each one complete it's boot cycle before moving to the next one:

- Thompson Modem
- D-Link Router
- Any other network Switches
- Any wired Sonos devices
- Any other Sonos devices

Then let's try Alexa:

Ask 'Alexa, What's the time'?
Ask 'Alexa, What's today's weather'?
Ask 'Alexa, Play Ed Sheeran'?

Then open the Alexa App>Settings>History and check that Alexa heard you correctly and let us know the results.
Badge +1
I tried your suggestion. It didn’t work. I still think it’s a combination of a weak internet and a relatively demanding system. The good news (I guess) is that it works in most settings. Maybe it’s time I update my internet. Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I tried your suggestion. It didn’t work. I still think it’s a combination of a weak internet and a relatively demanding system. The good news (I guess) is that it works in most settings. Maybe it’s time I update my internet. Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated.

What was the result of:

Ask 'Alexa, What's the time'?
Ask 'Alexa, What's today's weather'?
Ask 'Alexa, Play Ed Sheeran'?

Then open the Alexa App>Settings>History and check that Alexa heard you correctly and let us know the results.
Badge +1
Time, weather, calendar events, jokes, etc, all work.
It’s only problems with music (stop, play music by XYZ, turn up volume, play radio XYZ ). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But like I said, same unit works at my friend’s with no issues. I did have the occasional internet interruptions, so I know my internet is not great. But I am keeping the One, I will use it with AirPlay when it’s implemented!
Badge +1
And yes, it shows on the app that I asked for the commands, it’s just that sometimes it doesn’t execute them.
Badge +1
UPDATE. Important update. I started having trouble with my internet, in general. I discovered that my router was not working properly anymore. I decided to get a better, faster, more modern router. It solved my internet problems, AND it solved all of the Sonos One issues I had described before. So like I read elsewhere, we shouldn't blame Sonos for all the problems! I am very happy with the One now!!!
UPDATE. Important update. I started having trouble with my internet, in general. I discovered that my router was not working properly anymore. I decided to get a better, faster, more modern router. It solved my internet problems, AND it solved all of the Sonos One issues I had described before. So like I read elsewhere, we shouldn't blame Sonos for all the problems! I am very happy with the One now!!!

Thanks for posting back an update. I'm having similar trouble which I'm putting down to the 2 baby monitors in the house 😞