Question

Sonos One/Alexa unreliable

• 4 November 2017
  • 9 replies

Just purchased a Sonos One to replace an Echo Dot in the bedroom. So far, I am very disappointed. With the Echo dot, I could talk normally to it and it would work. I could even say 'Alexa' from outside the room and it would pick up and respond. With the 'One' I have to say 'Alexa' repeatedly, often shouting before it responds. Even when it does hear me, often the light on the top flashes for a while then silence. No errors, no notifications, no idea about what has gone wrong.

Is this 'usual' behaviour or do I have a faulty unit and should return it. Sound quality is great when it works, but for the Alexa functions, the echo dot was far superior.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Alexa is absolutely useless on Sonos. It acnt recognise anything I, or my wife, says!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
It's usual behaviour for me. As to whether you should return it, if you got it directly from Sonos you've got 100 days to return it. We keep being assured it will get better so it might improve within that time.
This happens to me also. I’m returning it but not because of that but because I found it a lot cheaper on Black Friday. However, if it doesn’t get better during my “evaluation period,” I’m going to return them all. I just don’t get it, the speaker hears me but doesn’t execute.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This happens to me also. I’m returning it but not because of that but because I found it a lot cheaper on Black Friday. However, if it doesn’t get better during my “evaluation period,” I’m going to return them all. I just don’t get it, the speaker hears me but doesn’t execute. you mean black Fridays 1's right the old model?
No, I’m mean the newer Sonos One. Sonos is currently selling it at a 12.5% discount. But I got a slightly better discount at another retailer.

Edit: This is in reply to Surfer. I forgot to use the quote thingy.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
No, I’m mean the newer Sonos One. Sonos is currently selling it at a 12.5% discount. But I got a slightly better discount at another retailer.

Still at £199 on Sonos site UK, you located somewhere else?

Yes, I’m in the USA.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes, I’m in the USA.
yeah you lot get all the bargains! 😠

Yes, I’m in the USA.
yeah you lot get all the bargains! :@
Sorry, mate:$