Question

Sonos One - Alexa - Spotify

• 21 January 2018
  • 9 replies

I don't know if the updates messed it up but Alexa isn't working with spotify anymore. When I ask her to play a song she says she is but she doesn't. Or the worst part is that I ask her to pause the music when I started spotify on the speaker from my phone and she says she paused it but it continues to play. Please help.

I even tried to factory reset my sonos one and it still continues to have these problems.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Same here, I get a positive response but no sound when I ask Alexa to play a spotify playlist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you Disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills and then Enable again. Please retest and let us know if the problem persists?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had already tried that but without success and have just tried again now without success.

If I'd have bought an Alexa enabled Sonos speaker to give me voice control of my own music library and streaming service I'd rightly be very unimpressed. It seems Amazon have pulled a fast one and really crippled this aspect and essentially only really allow you to have voice control over their music streaming service and TuneIn radio, presumably to force you into subscribing to Amazon music.

I have a fair amount of home automation stuff and Alexa works well for that, so for me, it's not so bad, if that hadn't been the case, I would not be likely to have purchased any further products from either manufacturer as this implementation make both parties look bad.

"All the music in the world" but only if you can find it on Amazon music.....

I have a couple of the new Amazon Echo Spots coming on Weds, one of those is to replace my bedroom Sonos if the sound from it is acceptable. This device should have better integration and also has a little video screen. It looks to be an interesting little device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you set Spotify as the Default Music Source in the Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media? What syntax are you using? To play a Playlist you need to use 'Alexa, Play Piano Chill Playlist' - I have no problems with Spotify, so this is fixable.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Have you set Spotify as the Default Music Source in the Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media? What syntax are you using? To play a Playlist you need to use 'Alexa, Play Piano Chill Playlist' - I have no problems with Spotify, so this is fixable.

Thank you Sir! That and the fact I'd managed to sign into Spotify with an old non-premium account when I'd linked it to Alexa are what were tripping me up. An added bonus is that now my Echo Dot that also wouldn't play Spotify because I was linked to the non-premium, is now working. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don't know if the updates messed it up but Alexa isn't working with spotify anymore. When I ask her to play a song she says she is but she doesn't. Or the worst part is that I ask her to pause the music when I started spotify on the speaker from my phone and she says she paused it but it continues to play. Please help.

I even tried to factory reset my sonos one and it still continues to have these problems.

Kevin, I don't know if you have the same issue with linking your Sonos to a non premium account like I did or not, but your situation sounds similar to mine. I had got my premium account on my phone and computer, so was able to start music there and choose to play it on my Sonos, but if I asked Alexa to play Spotify on the Sonos, she would happily confirm that she was going to do that but nothing would play. A more helpful response would be better, such as "your spotify account is non premium" or something like that. In my case this was due to inadvertantly signing in with a non-premium account when linking Alexa with Spotify. Hope that helps.
I have a premium account hooked up. Its on default spotify in settings and nothing works. I bought this speaker for music streaming of spotify through alexa and now it doesn't even work.
Oh wait. I got it to work. I had to remove my speaker on the alexa app then re-add it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Good to hear!