Answered

sonos one alexa spoitfy not working

• 6 January 2018
  • 7 replies

I bought myself and my father a sonos one.

I set my sonos one up at home after 2 attempts and a factory reset I have got it working I can play music manually through Spotify I can use alexa I can use tune in and I can use the limited skills that sonos allows. I get the impression a lot of the skills such as "routine" and "national rail" etc do not work on sonos yet. This is not a huge issue.

It doesn't really hinder my usage but for some reason whenever I open my sonos app which I try to do to see what I am doing differently to my dad I just get a " we cant connect to Sonos" "lets try some things" screen... the "things" do not fix it but I'm not overly fussed as my sonos works and it does what I want it to do.

THE BIG ISSUE is my dads. He has the exact same system.

I have set it up and factory reset it over 15 times and tried every possible order.

I have deregistered everything and restarted. Ive unlinked endless amount of times the Spotify premium account. Ive set up new amazon accounts new Spotify premium accounts and new sonos log ins all with the exact same email to try and make sure that the issue I have read of differing emails is not the issue.

He can speak to alexa and ask it the time the weather and to tell him a joke etc.
He can play Spotify through it manually
Some times he can play tune in. Sometimes it says that his system is offline.

But he has not so far no matter how I set it up been able to verbally ask alexa to play Spotify... it always repeats something like " to play music through Spotify you need to set up your Spotify premium account in the alexa app"

Ive done it exactly the same way as I believe I did and have tried so many differing ways but we have no luck.

The thing that I don't seem to understand is that on my alexa app it has 2 Devices... "(my name) sonos one" and "family room" which is what I have named my sonos one. I only have one device. Under "(my name) sonos one" it says "Online"

My dad also has 2 devices but his "(my name) sonos one" says offline. No matter how many times I deregister on his online amazon account and or change name of his "room" it doesn't seem to change this.

Sometimes you can play tune in sometimes you can not on it.

Its driving me/us insane.

He has BT internet. His connection is so much better than mine so its not the internet. I am not sure whether he has 2.4 or 5ghz but I have both and if I try and log my phone onto 5ghz wifi it wont let me work it so I assume he has his on the same settings as in I don't see this as the issue.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do.

1)Does anyone have a fail safe dummies guide step by step way to set up the system as in 1) do this 2) do that etc etc

2)Does anyone have any idea why his always seems to say offline

3)Does anyone have any idea at all? Am I able to send it back? I would sooner he has a sonos as they are good speakers but I feel it may be better to send it back and buy a echo device as I imagine that may be more simplistic and have better functionality.

4) not a huge issue but how do I get onto my sonos app? I would like to just to see if I have something ticked or labelled differently to his etc.

I'm sorry to ramble and may not be making much sense but despite all the searches I have done ive tried all the ideas but cant seem to fix it for my dad.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me.

Many thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 7 January 2018, 13:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can you answer these questions:

1/ Is your Dad's Sonos system on a different Wi-Fi to yours - not sure if he lives with you and in a separate location?
2/ If separate, does he have an Android or iOS device to load the Sonos App and connect to his system. If you are using your device and you are logged to multiple Amazon accounts on your device then this can cause issues -
3/ This will require him to create his Unique Sonos and Amazon accounts - there must be a 1:1 link between Sonos system and Amazon account;
4/ Can he play music via the Sonos app to his Sonos One?
5/ Has he enabled the Sonos skill on his device linking his Sonos system/Account to his Amazon account?
6/ If No, please do so and retest.
7/ Is his Sonos One still showing 'Off Line'? If yes, please select Alexa App>Settings>{Off line Device} and you should see an option to 'Make on-Line';
8/ If the problem persists then please follow the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Thank you very much for your reply.

I’ll try to answer

1) no we live very far apart. There is no cross contamination. I have not tried to use my phone on his system etc or vice verca.

2) he has iOS as do I. He has no other devices linked on his amazon accounts. We’ve set up new accounts and stil the only 2 devices are the “(his name) sonos one” and the “room”

3) his sonos one and amazon and premium Spotify accounts are all the same address.

4) yes he can

5) yes we have disabled it and reenabled etc too

6) see above

7) I don’t see this option. I’ll show u the screen prints of what he can see as options...

I feel part 7 is key so I’ll wait for advice on that before progressing to 8

Once again many thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you enter the Device Location and see if that enables the device to go on-line

If the problem persists please access the PC version of the Alexa App (https://www.amazon.co.uk) and see if you can set the location and turn 'on-line' in this version.
Thank you Uk Media for your continued assistance.

I think we have managed to fix it. His app still says his device is offline but thru logging onto alexa.amazon.co.uk and logging in there on his pc he has managed to follow all the things we have previously been doing and some how it is working.

Hopefully if anyone else has this issue they can do the same.

Also it seemed key I think that under his address on the online device every line had something in it even if it was mumbo jumbo...

I am not sure but I am very grateful that his toy is finally working.

Uk media since you are a superstar... do routines work on alexa on sonos yet? I can get mine to do flash briefings so I say "alexa what are my flash briefings" but its in an order it seems to chose. I would like to set up a routine. Is it true these don't work yet?

Many thanks once again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's great news 🙂 For some reason the PC version of the Alexa App resolves some issues that the iOS and Android Apps fail on.

If you want his weather forecast to work, your dad will need to set his postcode in the Alexa App>Settings>{Sonos One}>Device Location.

As for Routines, its a Yes and a No :? You can trigger Routines from the Sonos One but you can't yet include the Sonos One within the Actions contained within a Routine.

As for Flash Briefings, pleased select Alexa App>Skills and add any input that you would like included. e.g. BBC News, Sky News, Sky Sports, etc. Then select Alexa App>Settings>Accounts>Flash Briefing and you can 'Enable' the content and change the order by selecting 'Edit Order' in the top right corner of the screen.

Let us know if you have any other queries. 🙂
What a legend you are. Thank you very much. Health and happiness to you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And the same to you, glad to help 🙂