Question

Sonos One Alexa skill language problems

• 23 October 2017
  • 18 replies

Hello!

I got my Sonos One speaker this morning and went through the setup process. The initial speaker setup went smooth and as usual. When I tried to activate Alexa however, I was able to complete the first two steps with my German Amazon account. However, I couldn't successfully add the Sonos skill. The Alexa app prompted me to change the language of the skills to German via a link. This link leads to the setting screen inside the same app where no such setting can be found. Because I was stuck, I tried to reset everything and try it once more.
Therefore I then went to the German Amazon Website and deregistered the Speaker from the devices list where Amazon keeps record of Kindles, Echo devices and more.
Now I am stuck in the skill activation screen (third step) and Sonos doesn't seem to register that my device is no longer associated with my Amazon account.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

After doing a reset of the speaker, creating a US Amazon account and setting everything to English, it works. It seems like languages other than English are only supported by Amazon Echo products right now.
Hi Mathis. Thanks for sharing. I have the same problem. I will try your solution later tonight. Just a question: after creating an Amazon US account, are you able to still order things from Amazon Germany?
I haven’t tried ordering anything and probably won’t try it in the future. I'd guess that what I did restricts orders to Amazon.us.
I have the exact same problem.
same here
Same here, plus I tried changing my German Amazon account's language to English which still doesn't work.
I have the same problem. Echo already has problems with downloading skills in German when set to English. Sonos one has even more problems since it's not possible to set the language. I will probably return it.
At the moment I actually have both the devices and the things are even more strange with the Alexa app constantly popping out "something went wrong"
Hi again. I have finally found an answer to all my problems:

- To change the Language of Alexa, you have to do it in the Sonos app, in "room settings", under "voice services". Echo has this setting directly in the Alexa app. However, it is not possible with sonos to change the wake word.

- When changing the language to English, in Germany, the skills tab will not work. To download skills use the German language and set it back to english.

- Most importantly, from the Sonos website:
Not supported:
Use voice to group rooms or move the music to another room
Calling, drop-in and messaging
Sports Update and Flash Briefing
Playing eBooks
Setting reminders
Receiving notifications
Changing the Sonos One wake word

Sonos One is basically using Alexa just to control music. This is a huge limitation for me that I bought it to replace Echo.

As a result, Sonos One is going back to the shop. It's a pity, considering the quality of the speaker.
Why not disable Alexa on the speaker, pick up a Dot and use that with it for the time it takes Sonos to get all its act together. When they do, you can probably still find another use for the Dot.
Or use the Echo you have in this way.
This kills the whole purpose of having 1 system for everything. I understand that it just came out but it really looks like a beta product.
The Alexa part of Sonos one IS a beta, publicly stated as such.
I was not aware of that. Fairplay to them for saying that. I hope that my message can help others that were also unaware of these problems.
I was not aware of that. Fairplay to them for saying that. I hope that my message can help others that were also unaware of these problems.
I don't think it's common for Germans to use Alexa in English. There simply is no need for that.

Sonos One is basically using Alexa just to control music. This is a huge limitation for me that I bought it to replace Echo.
Maybe because Sonos is a multi-room music system?
From Wikipedia, that refers to an article of 2013: Munich hosts more than 530,000 people of foreign background, making up 37.7% of its population. And that is only in Munich, the most traditional city of germany.

Also, I am Italian. There is no need for me to use all my devices in English, watch English movies and so on. To be honest, I would not expect such a limitation in 2017.

I clearly misunderstood this device. I was expecting a full Alexa experience and top of the notch hardware. I got only the second. As I said, it was my misunderstanding, but the device does not respond to my needs.
Also, I am Italian. There is no need for me to use all my devices in English, watch English movies and so on. To be honest, I would not expect such a limitation in 2017.
I see. Nevertheless, I myself am a non-native Austrian, therefore, I would feel the urge to improve my German language skills too. 🙂
As for the language, Sonos works in English in Germany. My only complaint now is the loss of basic Alexa functionalities like reminders, alarms and so on.
I think, Sports Update and Flash Briefing are announced for 22nd Nov.