Answered

Sonos one Alexa no longer working

• 1 November 2017
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 1
Set up a Sonos one a few days ago, was working great, loved it. Got home today and said Alexa play music, but nothing happened. Appears that Alexa stopped working but I’m bit sure why as I didn’t do anything to it. I can still play songs through the Sonos app. I tried eating and reconnecting the Alexa app to no luck. Alexa seems to recognize the Sonos one but just won’t respond to anything I say. I wonder if it is an issue with the mic? Any help / ideas appreciated.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 12 November 2017, 19:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

I am having the same exact issue, I pre-ordered mine and It came the day it released, got Alexa to start working, and then Alexa suddenly stopped responding and never came back on since Friday. I have tried a multitude of things and had been hoping there will be an update, there has not been one... I am on here with the same question, how can we fix this?
Userlevel 7
Verify that Alexa voice service is active....

Go to Sonos App > More > Settings > Room Settings > Select the Room (Name) you setup for the Sonos One > Voice Services > Sign in to Manage > Type in your password (Your ID should already be visible) > Tap Sign in > You should see Alexa listed as the service. If not therein lies your problem. You'll have to re-integrate Alexa as the service.

If Alexa is already listed then I suggest you call Sonos Support. If you can't reach Sonos Support then I suggest you submit a Diagnostic Report and list the ID number in this forum. To do so....

Go to Sonos App > More > Settings > Advanced Settings > Submit Diagnostics > Submit

I hope this helps!
Userlevel 1
I finally found a fix. I deleted my Sonos and Alexa apps, when I did this it resent the connection with Alexa and started working again. This sounds thankfully like a software and not a hardware issue so hopefully they will fix it in a patch at some point.
I have exactly the same problem. I have tried the fixes and Alexa has stopped working, completely. My system is up to date.. can anyone help?
Userlevel 7
I have exactly the same problem. I have tried the fixes and Alexa has stopped working, completely. My system is up to date.. can anyone help?

OK. So you tried everything suggested. There are two more things you can try. Please read carefully before doing anything.

Option I
1. Unplug all your Sonos equipment.
2. Unplug all devices that use Wi-Fi
3. Delete the Sonos and Alexa Apps from you phone and/or tablet
4. Unplug you Router_wait 30 seconds
5. Restart your router
6. Re-enstall the Alexa App
7. Plug in all Non-Sonos Wi-Fi products
8. Plug in all Sonos products except the Sonos One
9.Re-install the Sonos App
10. Setup your Sonos speakers...except the Sonos One
11. Setup the Sonos One (make sure Voice Services is enabled in the Sonos App)
12. In the Alexa App Go to Skill > Type Sonos in the search Field > Search > Tap the Sonos Skill verify that it is enabled.
13. Ask Alexa via the Sonos One to play music from Amazon Music

Or

Option II
Verify that the LED below the microphone icon on top of the Sonos One is on :8

Cheers
Userlevel 1
My diagnostic # is 8084173
Alexa stopped listening to me
Userlevel 1
Before you shut off the electricity to your surrounding neighborhood, turn off your main circuit breaker to your house, eventually get to your router and Sonos & Alexa apps:
Try pushing on that picture of a microphone on top of your Sonos One. If the light comes back on Alexa will have resurrected from her absence.
I feel like such an idiot!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The message below contains an answer in which I've listed all of the steps to completely reset your Alexa Voice Control set-up. Let me know if your issue remains after these steps:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Before you shut off the electricity to your surrounding neighborhood, turn off your main circuit breaker to your house, eventually get to your router and Sonos & Alexa apps:
Try pushing on that picture of a microphone on top of your Sonos One. If the light comes back on Alexa will have resurrected from her absence.
Well, that makes two of us then! Thanks for the 'fix'.
I had all these issues and more, Ive been on with Sonos on the phone and then it worked and went back to not working. Id get her going again then back to zero. Ive tried all their suggestions and im back to she hears me but does nothing I ask. Its totally ANNOYING!!!
I feel like a complete idiot. The “hole” right below the microphone icon is actually a button/light that turns the mic on/off when pressed. I accidentally turned it off while wiping dust off the top.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I feel like a complete idiot. The “hole” right below the microphone icon is actually a button/light that turns the mic on/off when pressed. I accidentally turned it off while wiping dust off the top.

Your not the first to do that. 🙂
Yay problem solved. Mystery button on the top. pressed by a family member.
Oh my gosh. Are you kidding me?! Thank you for this.
I’m surprised that after searching for hours trying to find a solution that this was the first time anyone had mentioned the microphone button.
It all works great now thanks.
After a Sonos update my Alexa was not working on my Sonos. Spent hours trying to figure it out and, yes, it was the microphone switched off:@:D
exact same problem... Sonos One Alexa stopped responding.... Mic Light was off.. Press button..Voila! We had neighborhood electrical shut down. It might have failed to come on after power was reinstated. Thank you group 🙂

OK. So you tried everything suggested. There are two more things you can try. Please read carefully before doing anything.

Option I
1. Unplug all your Sonos equipment.
2. Unplug all devices that use Wi-Fi
3. Delete the Sonos and Alexa Apps from you phone and/or tablet
4. Unplug you Router_wait 30 seconds
5. Restart your router
6. Re-enstall the Alexa App
7. Plug in all Non-Sonos Wi-Fi products
8. Plug in all Sonos products except the Sonos One
9.Re-install the Sonos App
10. Setup your Sonos speakers...except the Sonos One
11. Setup the Sonos One (make sure Voice Services is enabled in the Sonos App)
12. In the Alexa App Go to Skill > Type Sonos in the search Field > Search > Tap the Sonos Skill verify that it is enabled.
13. Ask Alexa via the Sonos One to play music from Amazon Music

Or

Option II
Verify that the LED below the microphone icon on op of the Sonos One is on :8

Cheers
Best response ever! I went with option 2 and it worked perfectly ?
Thanks so much for the tip on the microphone - was fully set to spend hours sorting this out. Nope, the mic was also just switched off! All working fine now 🙂

This fixed it for me! I saw the 13 step instructions, said "Nope" and kept reading. Thanks Bronos!
Userlevel 7

This fixed it for me! I saw the 13 step instructions, said "Nope" and kept reading. Thanks Bronos!

@prettyrickey

You should have read Step 14 (or rather Option II) 😉 Cheers!