Question

Sonos One - Alexa issues

• 18 December 2017
  • 32 replies

When I ask alexa to play music on my sonos one, it only plays one track and then stops. please advise.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Please undertake the following steps:

1/ Power down Sonos Devices for 10 secs and then power back on;
2/ Disable the Sonos Skill within the Alexa App>Skills;
3/ Re-Enable the Sonos skill within the Alexa App>Skills;

Please retest. If the problem persists then log out of All Amazon apps on your device and repeat steps 1-3 and then retest. Let us know how this goes on.
I'll try that (#DOS #PC # PCXT #PCAT #PS1 #PS2 etc etc etc) . Meanwhile I'm listening to Amazon Music via the Sonos phone app. and Alexa is reduced to playing radio stations and answering dumb questions. Happy Christmas everyone!
Same problem here and suggestion above did not help. People have been reporting this problem since the first day of Sonos One. Why is it not fixed yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here and suggestion above did not help. People have been reporting this problem since the first day of Sonos One. Why is it not fixed yet?

Having spoken to Sonos about this, I believe that there are multiple causes of this issue and it is the Amazon user authorisation token not getting authorised after the first song has completed. Can you just check once again that you don't any other app logged in to Amazon? Also it can be caused by wif-fi interference, so can you also change the Wi-Fi channel or SonosNet Channel and retest?

If the issue persists then please submit a diagnostic and post the number in the thread.
Thank you for the reply. Can you clarify what you mean by being logged on to other Amazon apps? I use Amazon Music on my phone (but not at the same time as trying to play Amazon music via Sonos/Alexa). Do you mean that I should log out of the app on my phone? Relogging every time I need to use it, would be a major inconvenience. I am also logged to the Amazon app for shopping. Should I log out of it? Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you for the reply. Can you clarify what you mean by being logged on to other Amazon apps? I use Amazon Music on my phone (but not at the same time as trying to play Amazon music via Sonos/Alexa). Do you mean that I should log out of the app on my phone? Relogging every time I need to use it, would be a major inconvenience. I am also logged to the Amazon app for shopping. Should I log out of it? Thank you.

I suggest that you log out of them all and then carry out the steps above and retest and then log into each of the other apps, one at a time, testing in between. Can you confirm that they are the same Amazon account?
They are all on the same amazon account. I'll perform the test when I get home. Thank you.
I paid 170.00 each for these play ones. And all Sonos and amazon can do is reset reset log out power down login try again. This is unacceptable and Sonos and Amazon are better than this. I love my Sonos. It’s a darn good thing that these things sound as good as they do. I am very disappointed that two huge companies like Sonos and Amazon cannot get this fixed. This should be a high priority problem for you guys to get fixed so let’s get some engineers and some smart people working on this issue ASAP!!! That’s my opinion and take it for what it is worth. I have invested a crap ton of money into Sonos already.
Anyone knows if that happens with Spotify. If not, it might be the easiest solution.
Why has it become acceptable to sell products which do not work? If there are known issues like this where is the compensation for customers? I did not buy this to then fault find for sonos or amazon. Same issue as above, only one song being played, infuriating!!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos skill is still in Beta.....
Sonos skill is still in Beta.....

Yup.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Inc/dp/B072ML3N6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514484609&sr=8-1&keywords=sonos+skill+alexa

With this skill, you can ask Alexa to play music from Alexa music services – including Spotify Premium, Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, SiriusXM and iHeartRadio – on your Sonos One or from an Amazon Echo device wirelessly connected to your Sonos speakers (in open beta). Start music from more than 80 other popular music services with the Sonos app, and tell Alexa to pause, resume and turn up the volume.
Badge
This issue and all the suggested work around remind me of once leader but now defunct Packard Bell computers. Any call support call where they didn’t have an answer, even to minor issues, they would just answer with “reformat your hard drive” and most of the time that didn’t help but it shifted the burden back to the consumer.
Are you saying Sonos One speakers are in Open Beta not sure i would have bought 1 - but i bought 2;-)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The speakers aren't but the Alexa Skill is.
Badge
Interesting. On the Sonos site I’m only seeing “Sonos One with Amazon Alexa Built Right In” and not finding “Beta” or even asterisks* and footnote?
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not much help but it used to be there in the Shop and still is against the Skill description and Explore.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/alexa-on-sonos
Right. The Sonos One speaker is not in beta. The Sonos skill for Alexa is most certainly in beta, as stated in the announcement here and the skill description page at Amazon.
Badge
Really hard to find “Beta” on this. And this is all about selling Alexa built in. Sonos has amazing brand and not setting expectations in the merchandising cs Just selling more is a Brand erosion point.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html
BTW, the Alexa app says the Beta Sonos skill was updated yesterday. I wonder what changed? Nothing obvious...
I contacted Amazon support and opened a ticket. They said they were aware of it and working on it, but to be a little more patient. I got tired of waiting. Cancelled my Amazon Music Unlimited subscription and opened a Spotify Premium account. Sonos One/Alexa work just fine with Spotify. I'll pay a few bucks more a month, but at least I know what I pay for. Amazon dropped the ball on this one.
Really hard to find “Beta” on this. And this is all about selling Alexa built in. Sonos has amazing brand and not setting expectations in the merchandising cs Just selling more is a Brand erosion point.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html

You keep repeating yourself, even after it has been explained. Once again, the hardware is not in beta, the Sonos skill for Alexa is. That's why the Sonos One sales page does not mention beta, and the Sonos Alexa skill announcement and the Sonos skill description page do state the skill is a beta. I really don't know how clearer it could be.

By the way, the Sonos skill for Alexa is in beta for my 2 year old Echo and 1 year old Echo dot, as it is for every other Alexa enabled device. Should Amazon be showing these items as "beta" on those sales pages too?
Badge
Echo and echo dot are bought for wholly different reasons vs a product promoted, sold and bought to play music powered by Alexa.

Yes i keep repeating myself as each of the replies miss this point that sonos is promoting The One as “buy me for Alexa + Sonos to Play music” and yet is only a beta product software w amazon music as you only get 1 song at a time.
Badge +1
Just to be clear, I have 4 Sonos Ones (upgraded all my Play:1s) and was fully aware of all limitations and the Alexa skill being beta before purchasing...

However... I have to agree with MB-Sound here...

The Sonos One is sold as having Alexa built in. Yes Alexa does work but it should be mentioned it's a beta and subject to some limitations. If this was sold as a voice controlled speaker (with Google and Alexa available for example) and Alexa was beta then it would be different but as it specifically states Alexa is included, it should state somewhere it's a beta.
Echo and echo dot are bought for wholly different reasons vs a product promoted, sold and bought to play music powered by Alexa.

Yes i keep repeating myself as each of the replies miss this point that sonos is promoting The One as “buy me for Alexa + Sonos to Play music” and yet is only a beta product software w amazon music as you only get 1 song at a time.

Agree to disagree. And beta or not, I get hours of continuous play from Amazon Music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just to be clear, I have 4 Sonos Ones (upgraded all my Play:1s) and was fully aware of all limitations and the Alexa skill being beta before purchasing...

However... I have to agree with MB-Sound here...

The Sonos One is sold as having Alexa built in. Yes Alexa does work but it should be mentioned it's a beta and subject to some limitations. If this was sold as a voice controlled speaker (with Google and Alexa available for example) and Alexa was beta then it would be different but as it specifically states Alexa is included, it should state somewhere it's a beta.

Please see this article from the Sonos web site which identifies the commands that work and those that aren't currently supported:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4347?=KB4343