Answered

Sonos One + Alexa Grouping of Speakers Doesn't Work

• 8 November 2017
  • 3 replies

I recently added a Sonos One to my existing setup and have gone through the addition of the Alexa app, etc. I am able to tell Alexa to play music on one of my speakers, but even though I have set up "Groups" in the Alexa, she refuses to recognize them so I am only able to play on one speaker at a time. I have even deleted everything (all apps and settings), restarted from scratch, set up new groups with new names after Alexa recognized my Sonos speakers, but I am still unable to play music on a group as defined in the Alexa app. Any thoughts? Separately, Sonos One + Alexa is not playing nice (not working) with my Hue lights anymore following a recent update at the beginning of November whereas it was for a couple of weeks after my initial purchase, but, I have read elsewhere (on Amazon sites) that this is a known Amazon update problem that is hopefully being addressed by them. But, at a minimum, I am first trying to just be able to play music on more than one speaker at a time by telling Alexa the group name. When I instruct "her" to do so, she says she doesn't recognize the group name even though it's in the Alexa app. Suggestions would be appreciated!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 November 2017, 19:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Alexa's "groups" aren't recognized by Sonos, you have to do grouping in the Sonos app.

Odd, I haven't been having issues with my Hue lights at all. Do you have a Hue bridge, or are you depending on Amazon to provide the network?
Thanks Bruce. Interesting. Following your advice, I was able to use my Sonos One / Alexa to control multiple speakers (through the Sonos Groups rather than the Alexa Groups). However, the Alexa Groups did used to work for my Hue lights, and, as mentioned (probably should be a separate thread), there are currently problems with Hue lights and Alexa in general. I do have a Hue Bridge, and, everything used to work just fine until around November 1 or so. But then Alexa stopped recognizing any of my lights as well as the "groups". I completely uninstalled everything (Hue, Alexa, and Sonos), rebooted my router, reset my Hue bridge to factory settings, reinstalled everything as if I had just purchased my Hue lights and my Sonos One ... and ... NADA. You can see that there are many others with this issue here: http://amzn.to/2ArTaL0 If you, or anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. But I suspect that this is an Amazon issue that needs to be addressed as some update they pushed screwed up a lot of folks. I'm curious why you are still working just fine though!
While this probably isn't the best forum to discuss Hue issues, I do have the "Siri enabled" bridge for my Hue lights. I try to keep the software updated when I remember to, and mostly use timers on the lights. I only occasionally turn them on or off using voice, using the term "lights" as a group of all available lights. But to be honest, you may be better dealing with this in Amazon or Philips Hue's forums. I think as far as Amazon's "skills" work, the process by which they deal with lights is not 100% the same as the way that Sonos deals with speakers.