Answered

Sonos One Alexa Alarm volume

• 4 November 2017
  • 25 replies

Badge
Is there a way to adjust the volume of the alarm played when set via Alexa? (searching for this I learned there's a Sonos alarm option as well, which I've never used on my other 7 speakers)
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 17 November 2017, 22:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

I don’t currently have the new Sonos One speaker, but the normal way to adjust an echo device alarm volume is as follows:

Go to Amazon Alexa App... select ‘Reminders & Alarms'. Choose the echo device from the drop-down list. Then go to the alarms tab and choose the option that says 'Manage alarm volume and default sound' and set the volume slider to the level required. You can also choose a different alarm sound file.

If you don’t see these things with the Sonos One device, then I would hazard a guess that it is a feature Sonos or Amazon have selected not to implement at this moment in time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good directions from Ken. The volume of Alexa isn't adjustible at this time on the Sonos One. I'll make sure to let the team know you're looking for the feature.
Badge
Ryan, please add my vote to this one. Alexa is very LOUD on our bedroom play one!
Hi all,

On my Echo Dot, there is an option for sound where I can handle the volume for my music and alarm separately. This means that with my Echo Dot, I can set the music volume (or Audible volume/ambient sounds volume) to 2 while I sleep but still keep the Alarm Sound to the maximum. I can't do this with my Sonos One unfortunately :(

Is this an upcoming feature or something? I just bought my Sonos One yesterday but I'm thinking of getting a refund.

It's being advertised as having "full Alexa support" but apparently not. Can't even set reminders for crying out loud. I know it's partly my fault for not doing enough research beforehand.
Ryan, it'd be so great if we could have options to adjust the volume and tone of the alarm. Thanks!
Badge
I can’t say how much I am looking forward to this one. We’re currently being woken up by foghorn every morning. I’m sure it’s reducing my life expectancy! I may have to resort to smothering her in pillows
I tried using the alarm in my living room when taking a nap, and it was so low that i did not even hear it. Having the option of changing alarm (and Timer!) volume and sounds is really necessary for my part. I also cannot hear the timer go off if i am in the kitchen and the music is playing. I know i can change it if i schedule the alarm (or timer - i dont remember which one) from the Sonos App, but not when using Alexa.

Should be easy to add a setting for changing this in the Sonos app? Can this be added please?:)
I find that when I am cooking and ask Alexa for a reminder the volume is very very low. I think this might be different than the alarm feature though.
The ability to control the Alexa alarm volume separately to the overall system volume would be most welcome. Currently if the TV volume is low, then the alarm volume is too low.
Badge
Good directions from Ken. The volume of Alexa isn't adjustible at this time on the Sonos One. I'll make sure to let the team know you're looking for the feature.

Yes, please do add this Ryan; it would be very helpful.
Badge +2
I would set the volume on the alarm itself in the sonos app. That said perhaps they should have a test button on the side so that you could see how loud it is set.
Please Sonos or Amazon, add the feature to the play one!!
Nine months and counting... what is the technical problem that makes volume control of Alexa alarms so difficult that you can't fix this problem in NINE MONTHS?
As a new owner of two Sonos One's I'm dismayed to be reading these comments. This is basic stuff. Sonos sound great, but maybe they should be marketed as "partially smart"?
one year later and no progress ...
Any way to escalate this? It’s nonsense.
Good directions from Ken. The volume of Alexa isn't adjustible at this time on the Sonos One. I'll make sure to let the team know you're looking for the feature. any update?
I second the question “any updates”? We have an Echo and a pair of Sonos 1’s (the Sonos 1s are part of the 5.1 surround system). At times when we set an alarm from the kitchen the Sonos 1 picks up the voice command and sets the alarm. But when the alarm goes off on the Sonos 1 we can barely hear it from up close and not at all from the kitchen. So would very much appreciate a way to increase the volume of the Alexa alarm on Sonos 1.
I have the same problem. These posts are old and it still hasn't been fixed, I can't hear the timer go off when the tv is on. We really need to be able to control the volume! Any idea when this will be fixed?
Same problem here. It sounds like a great idea in theory, until you're cooking, depend on the timer, and can't hear it because it's too quiet! It's such a simple feature but is nearly useless to us, which is quite disappointing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I'd like to bump this thread. Alexa on echo dot 2 has the ability to set alarm volume, and I really need this.
Any updates on this? It's been a year and not a word on it. I think more than enough people have complained about it for the team to say something at least.
Ryan,

When is this going to be fixed? This seems like such a straightforward software upgrade given that it is native to every other Alexa device. I love my Sonos but this alone prevents me from using my Alexa on the sonos the way I envisioned when I bought it. I need a loud alarm but don’t need my Alexa blaring when I ask it to turn on some gentle music. May need to return this and use a different brand going forward if this isn’t going to be resolved shortly, especially given that there seems to be zero focus on getting this sorted out (OP was over a year ago and this feature has been on Alexa since 2016!).
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Ryan,

When is this going to be fixed? This seems like such a straightforward software upgrade given that it is native to every other Alexa device. I love my Sonos but this alone prevents me from using my Alexa on the sonos the way I envisioned when I bought it. I need a loud alarm but don’t need my Alexa blaring when I ask it to turn on some gentle music. May need to return this and use a different brand going forward if this isn’t going to be resolved shortly, especially given that there seems to be zero focus on getting this sorted out (OP was over a year ago and this feature has been on Alexa since 2016!).

Ryan never commits to any feature or any date. Other companies are the same. If you need to chose a course of action, I think you should assume that the way it works today is the way it will always work, and make your decision accordingly.

I have chosen to use the Sonos app to set alarms (so that I have full control of volume and playlist). Once the alarm sounds and I wake up, Alexa can stop it or adjust the volume (but not snooze it). If you like to always snooze 15 mins, you can set an alarm for 7:00 and another alarm for 7:15. When the first one sounds, say "Alexa, stop" and go back to sleep till the 2nd one sounds. It's not perfect, but I've gotten used to it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ryan,

Requests for setting Alexa's volume independant of general sound playback have repeatedly been submitted from the beginning.

If Sonos could have done it they would have by now so unless something changes in the implementation of Alexa they have to work with, it'll never happen.