Sonos One a massive disappointment

• 21 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I can’t even begin to voice the level of disappointment I have with the Sonos One.

It’s advertised as a Sonos speaker with Alexa in it, and I guess at a very high level that’s accurate but it’s riddled with issues.

The microphone sensitivity is woeful, I’ve stood in front of it shouting Alexa only to hear my Echo Dot in the living room respond. It also seems to have more issues understanding what I’m saying than my Echo Dots, probably again linked to microphone sensitivity.

It doesn’t show up as an Alexa enabled device severely limiting its functionality in a smart home eco system, it can’t be included in groups, doesn’t want to seem to play as a multi room speaker with my echos.

I couldn’t recommend this unless you’re only interested in having it play music, but even if that’s all you wanted I struggle to see how a Sonos One in it’s current form could compete with the flexibility of a Play 1 and an Echo Dot.

I have to admit I was hoping for a Sonos speaker paired with the power of Alexa, and I have a Sonos speaker and it’s good, but the Alexa functionality is severely substandard even to the point where I’m seriously considering disabling the Alexa controls on the Sonos and buying an Echo Dot to pair with it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Much as i like the idea of the One, I have to agree that a Dot and Play 1 seems a better choice. Besides the issues with Alexa Enabled vs Native Amazon Alexa devices, you can place the dot away from speakers so that voice commands are always heard.
That is one good reason. Another is the rapid introduction of new products by Amazon that Sonos cannot ever hope to keep up with. One can now have a Spot with a play 1 or 3/5, and get the video display as well. And while priced high today, in a year it should be down to the Dot levels. By keeping to the separate front ends approach, these can be changed as frequently as available/desired, while keeping the Sonos speakers unchanged.
The microphone sensitivity is woeful, I’ve stood in front of it shouting Alexa only to hear my Echo Dot in the living room respond. It also seems to have more issues understanding what I’m saying than my Echo Dots, probably again linked to microphone sensitivity.
This hasn't been cured by updating to v8.2.3?