Sonos One 2nd Gen not sensitive enough microphone

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @rodilardius

Thank you for your response and for letting us know what's happening.

Can you please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for me to check what’s going on?

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

I have purchased 2 gen 2 Sonos 1s.  They sound great, but are unusable as their intended purpose, the  Alexa function.  They’re in the kitchen unplugged and my £40 original Alexa is set up.

I’ve tried everything in this thread.  The Mics are not sensitive enough at all and I find myself screaming Alexa!  Additionally, the BBC news function doesn’t work as it should and just loops…

I have sent diagnostics….nothing.

what are my options for return.  I understand faulty electrical purchases can be returned if within the year?!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @shaneh85. Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos Community.

I appreciate all your effort in checking the troubleshooting in this thread. If you need help with further troubleshooting with your Sonos Ones, you can reach out to our Support Customer Care to check what's happening.

About returns, we have a 100-day return policy from the date of purchase. If you need to know more about the returns policy, you may contact our Sales team.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi @Shephmat. Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for letting us know about your concern on your Sonos One. I understand that the voice service doesn't pick up the voice command. I'd like to ask some questions with regard to what you're experiencing and to completely understand the situation.

1. What voice service are you using to your Sonos One?
  2. Was it working before?
  3. Are you experiencing the problem while playing music or even there’s no music playing?

To further assist you on this, kindly submit a diagnostic to check on your system.

Please feel free to reach back to us.

Hi Rowena,

I am using Alexa

Its a new Sonos One living room device . Replacing an old Alexa echo. It hasn’t worked correctly since I brought it. 

I have submitted a diagnostics, No. 990312567

The problem happens even when not listening to music and the room is quite. Just tonight I asked it to turn on the TV, Alexa two rooms over turned on, the living room Sonos did nothing. Strangely enough it works maybe 25% of the time.

I have signed out of Alexa and back in but that doesn’t help.
I’m wondering if this is a software issue or a hardware issue and I need to return it?

Thanks

Matt

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shephmat, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. I appreciate for detailing your concern in your post and for letting us know about it. 

Let me help you with your concern by following the steps below.

1. Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
  2. Open the menu in the top left and tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill.
  3. Deregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by following the instructions on Amazon's website: Deregistering a device.
  4. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services, and select Amazon Alexa under Voice. Select the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove Alexa.
  5. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, including the Amazon app, Alexa app, and Amazon.com in your mobile browser.
    • To sign out of the Amazon mobile app:
      • On Android devices, open the app and tap Menu > Your Account > Sign Out.
      • On iOS devices, open the app and tap the menu icon in the top-left corner, and then choose Settings > "Not [name]?"
  6. Using the Sonos app, complete Alexa setup again. Follow the steps to log into the appropriate Amazon account when prompted to do so.
  7. Once completed, try giving Alexa another command.

We would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide the best option for you.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

Hi @Shephmat, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. I appreciate for detailing your concern in your post and for letting us know about it. 

Let me help you with your concern by following the steps below.

1. Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
  2. Open the menu in the top left and tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill.
  3. Deregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by following the instructions on Amazon's website: Deregistering a device.
  4. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services, and select Amazon Alexa under Voice. Select the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove Alexa.
  5. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, including the Amazon app, Alexa app, and Amazon.com in your mobile browser.
    • To sign out of the Amazon mobile app:
      • On Android devices, open the app and tap Menu > Your Account > Sign Out.
      • On iOS devices, open the app and tap the menu icon in the top-left corner, and then choose Settings > "Not [name]?"
  6. Using the Sonos app, complete Alexa setup again. Follow the steps to log into the appropriate Amazon account when prompted to do so.
  7. Once completed, try giving Alexa another command.

We would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide the best option for you.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

Thanks.

I have just followed the above. I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Matt

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shephmat, thank you for your response. 

Please keep us posted. We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi @Shephmat, thank you for your response. 

Please keep us posted. We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi Rowena,

It appears the issue isn’t fixed. Just tonight cooking dinner, about 2 metres away from the Sonos one with Alexa, I asked Alexa to set a timer and the Alexa Echo 2 rooms over about 15 metres away responded and set the timer. 
please help,

Thanks

Matt

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shephmat, thank you for your response and for performing the steps provided. I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing the same.

I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

To further assist you with this, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model for each device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi. 

I am also noticing the same issue with the gen2 mic. 

I have both the gen 1 and the gen 2 Sonos one and find I have to shout at the gen 2. 

I've submitted a diagnostic report. 

Can you help please as this is ridiculous and needs sorting. 

Regards Paul

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Paul_uk74,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me share some information to help you out.

Upon checking the report, there's an interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion or low wireless range and your Sonos speakers are in different wireless channels. This might be the reason why you’re having issues with your voice assistant.

Have you tried the steps we recommended in this thread?  If so, let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps you can perform.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Hardwire one of your speakers to your router.
    • Test playback by asking your voice assistant
  3. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

If it's still doesn't work, you may need to contact our phone support team to look into this. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Still no fix for this then, just blame network interference like everything else. The mic is beyond poor and 80% of the time I have to repeat ‘Alexa’. Network interference my ***, funny how echo dot and google nest works fine, as does Sonos One Gen 1 by all accounts.

Sonos support is very, very poor and that is the reason I will never buy any of their products again. You fix nothing and blame everybody else for your shortcomings. The mic’s on these speakers simply aren’t good enough, and you know it.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @duke6, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. What you feel is understandable. Let me share some information with you. Most of the time, the problem is caused by network-related issues, and we can determine this by looking at the diagnostic report. If the device itself is having the issue, we need to isolate it by performing some troubleshooting steps. Have you tried the steps we recommended in this thread?  I would also recommend contacting our phone support to further assist you with your concern and to provide the best option for you. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Rowena B.Seriously is this a wind up? @sonos stop embarrassing yourself and admit that these mic’s are  rubbish and not fit for purpose? They’ve even got a bot now to automate their replies as they are just showing what a joke of a company they are. Your mics don’t work, are sub-standard and YOU KNOW IT! What a terrible, terrible company you are.