Answered

Sonos not responding - Alexa App

• 5 October 2017
  • 9 replies

I setup the new Alexa beta and everything linked properly. I restarted speakers so everything should be all set. But when I try and start Sonos initially, Alexa tells me that "XX room is not responding". If I go directly to the Sonos app and start the player that way, I can get Alexa to at least recongnize the player. The issue I am having at this point is if I say "alexa, play "fill in the blank" in XX room", alexa will respond that it will play it but the sonos player will just resume whatever I manually started. I can't get it to change music at all. All I get is the ability to start whatever I was last playing.

Hope this makes sense. I know the beta is only 5 minutes old but hoping someone can help!
icon

Best answer by pg1104 7 October 2017, 02:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge
I have the exact same issue.

I have 2 original echo's and 3 dots.
I have 2 Play 1's and 2 Play 5's.

I have even removed the skill as well as the devices added to echo, then added the skill back. I get the same result.
Badge
I also unplugged/plugged the power in the echo's and Speakers.

That worked! Try it and let me know if it worked?
I had this exact same issue, and it appears that it was due to a naming conflict. The Sonos in my home office was named "Office," and I also had a Nest thermostat named "Office". I renamed to "Office Sonos" and all seems to be working now.
Badge
check that the dots/echos are not names the same as the sonos ie.. bedroom dot/echo
. bedroom sonos in the alexa app I've named my dots as echo 1 echo 2 echo 3
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
check that the dots/echos are not names the same as the sonos ie.. bedroom dot/echo

Don’t understand. Surely the room/speaker location names have to be the same in both the Echo and Sonos??
Badge

Don’t understand. Surely the room/speaker location names have to be the same in both the Echo and Sonos??

no both don't have to be name the same like I said my alexas are echo 123 try it in the app.. till I changed the names of the dots it wouldn't play on my sonos

Just the opposite. If they are the same, then Alexa has conflicting targets to send the commands to.
Userlevel 2
Having same issue after installing skill. If their is a queue entry it just plays the existing queue and ignores specific music request. If no queue it responds with " not responding". No duplicate names and rebooting devices did not help. Any suggestions?
I’ve had the exact same issue. I’ve got a Sonos One and a Sonos Play 5. Could not set volume among other things on my Five.

Turns out that Alexa had a problem with names with spaces in them. My speaker was called ‘Sonos Five’. When I changed this to ‘SonosFive’ it started accepting commands. Tried changing back to ‘Sonos Five’ and the problems reappeared.

I don’t have any rooms or other devices that would conflict with any of the names mentioned.