Question

Sonos move on a guest network - alexa music controls doesn't work.

• 15 October 2020
  • 1 reply

I have the sonos move, and every time I travel with it (now 3 separate trips, 3 destinations) the alexa voice control doesn’t work for music. Commands which work at home that do not work while travelling:

• alexa stop
  • alexa play
  • alexa pause
  • alexa play xxx song from apple music
  • alexa play xxx song from spotify

The “play music” commands report that they work, but the music never actually plays.

Interestingly, volume up / volume down / set volume commands work. So do other alexa functions, asking questions, setting timers, and so on.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like the “Alexa” commands work as they just require a cloud connection, but the “Sonos” commands do not as that requires local network access. Most Guest networks are not compatible with regular Sonos devices as they block device-to-device communication. I am guessing that the Move is exposed as two devices on the network, and only the “Alexa” one works.

Uses Bluetooth to play the music instead? That is the point of the Move after all.