Answered

Sonos linking the wrong Alexa account.

• 18 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have removed the Alexa and Amazon App an re-isntalled it with the account/email asscoiated with the Sonos account. When I attempt to add voice services to the newly added Sonos One it ALWAYS associates the wrong email/account when linking to Sonos. As a result, the proper physical location is never associated with the speaker, not can it be setup properly in Alexa (never saves). I have followed the guidance on factory resetting and I am still in the same place. Very disappointed in how buggy this software is since I bought the One and it won't associate with the proper account or properly play back music from TuneIn or Amazon (no play back). Voice control is crucial and this is just a boat anchor at this point.

Any guidance I can get besides the exisitng articles you guys have already published?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 19 August 2018, 11:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

This isn't because of any bug in the software but normally caused by you having other apps logged into other email/Amazon accounts on your mobile device. Can you log out of all email & amazon apps and try again.

If the problem persists, please work through the steps below. These get progressively more time consuming and so test regularly as it's unusual to need to go through the full list:

1/ Duplicate device names - Alexa prefers that names for Devices, Groups and Scenes are unique,
1.1/ Please open up the Alexa App>Smart Home and make a note of any duplicate device names;
1.2/ You can then change them in the source app. e.g. Use the Sonos App to change the name of Sonos players. (I personally use the naming standard Room Name + Device type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc)
1.3/ Once you have changed any duplicate names then please open the Alexa App on a PC (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com)>Smart Home>Devices and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'. NOTE: This will remove ALL Actions from ALL Alexa Routines! (Only the PC version has this functionality.)

2/ Some form of Account Linking or Authorisation has not completed successfully. There are a number of causes for this and it's best to try these steps 1 at a time and test before moving on to the next step if the problem persists:
2.1/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable' followed by 'Enable';
2.2/ Ensure that you don't have multiple Amazon accounts logged into different Apps on your device, as this can confuse the Amazon Authorisation. If yes, then please log out of the other accounts and then complete step 2.1 again;
2.3/ If the problem still persists, please logout of all Amazon accounts then select the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable. Now power down all Sonos devices for 10 secs, allowing for any wired devices to boot before booting the remaining Sonos players. Now log back into the Alexa App>Skills>Sonos and 'Enable'

3/ If the problem persists then an entire reset of the Authorisation & Account Linking process is required:
3.1/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and then 'Disable';
3.2 In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home>Devices'. Now select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen;
3.3/ In the Sonos app (Android or iOS), select Settings>Room Settings and for each of the Sonos One's sign into 'Voice Services' and select 'Remove Amazon Alexa from this Room';
3.4/ If you have any wired Sonos devices, please power down for 10 secs and then switch on and wait for it to boot;
3.5/ Now power down all other Sonos Players for 10 secs then switch them back on and wait for them to boot;
3.6/ In the Sonos app, Select Manage>Add a player or sub' and add the Sonos One's again. This will complete the set-up process again;
3.7/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills and ensure the Sonos skill is 'Enabled', if not please 'Enable';
3.8/ In the Alexa app , select Smart Home>Devices>Discover. Ensure that your Sonos One's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'.
3.9/ Also check one last time that there are no devices with the same name. Remember, if there is a need to rename any then you'll need to select 'Discover' again.
Sorry I disagree. This is the worst user experience I've ever had. I'm on my fifth set up. First the surrounds wouldn't play (I needed to set up the Beam first), now Sonos keeps synching to the wrong Alexa account. Why wouldn't it simply ask you which account you want to sync to? I used a different computer, shut the main one off, used Firefox instead of Chrome, deregistered everything on Amazon, deinstalled and reinstalled Sonos and Alexa, factory reset all the speakers three times. I'm going to give up and give Sonos what it wants and change my alexa account over. Even though this will screw up another location. Hopefully they fix this one little buggy element and give people the option of just choosing which Alexa account someone wants to choose. I'm seriously thinking of losing the Ones and going to Play 1s and just letting an Alexa device control Alexa on these things. Or send the entire thing back and try another brand.
Sorry I disagree. This is the worst user experience I've ever had. I'm on my fifth set up. First the surrounds wouldn't play (I needed to set up the Beam first), now Sonos keeps synching to the wrong Alexa account.

I don't see why setting up the Beam first is an issue, as it's really quite logical. Please note that though that if you're trying to bond a Beam with 2 Sonos Ones as surround speakers, the microphones on the Ones are automatically turned off. Only the Beam will be Alexa enabled.

Why wouldn't it simply ask you which account you want to sync to?

If 'it' refers to the setup process for Sonos speakers, there are two reason for this. One is that you don't link individual speakers to an Alexa account (or any music services for that matter), you link your entire Sonos account to Alexa. The other is that the link is initiated on the Alexa side, and needs to be done in the Alexa app.

I used a different computer, shut the main one off, used Firefox instead of Chrome, deregistered everything on Amazon, deinstalled and reinstalled Sonos and Alexa, factory reset all the speakers three times.

You can't setup Sonos speakers through the desktop application anymore, so I'm not sure what you're talking about with this statement. Are you talking about the Alexa web-based app and the setup on that side?

I'm going to give up and give Sonos what it wants and change my alexa account over. Even though this will screw up another location.

Give Sonos what it wants? Are you working with multiple Alexa/Amazon accounts here? It's not clear what your scenario is or what you're trying to accomplish.

Hopefully they fix this one little buggy element and give people the option of just choosing which Alexa account someone wants to choose. I'm seriously thinking of losing the Ones and going to Play 1s and just letting an Alexa device control Alexa on these things. Or send the entire thing back and try another brand.

There really isn't much difference in setup between a play:1 and Sonos One in terms of linking to Alexa. As I stated before, you don't link individual speakers, you link your entire Sonos account. If you state what devices you have, what accounts you have (including the other location), and how you want this to operate, someone here might be able to give you some useful advice.
Here's what I'm trying to achieve. Three locations, 2 of which are occasional AirBnB and office space. I really need voice activated Amazon music and great sound at each location. My understanding from reading the forums, is you need to have a separate Sonos account at each location. Desired configuration would be:
Location 1. Core Amazon Account 1 with Sonos Account 1 - same email address.
Location 2. Sub Account 2 with Sonos Account 2 - same email address
etc.

I'm setting up Location 2 first over the winter with a Beam, Sub and two Ones. I prefer not to use my core Amazon account at Location 2, since it will be an occasional rental and would prefer to the location 2 sub account. Unfortunately when I first set up the system I used my Location 1 core Amazon account email and a Sonos Location 2 account. Discovering that two different accounts won't work (according to online forums) , I factory reset everything, deleted everything off every possible device connected to the network including all Android and PC devices and started over. No luck. Sonos auto connected to the Location 1 Core Alexa/gmail account. It did not ask me to log in. Even though the Alexa app was not downloaded on my phone.

So after trying different approaches, I decided to simply use the Amazon Location 1 master account email and match it to the Sonos Location 1 email, at the Location 2 - just to see if the voice activation works. It doesn't. It will say "playing Jesse Cook" and then is silent. Or it'll say "undefined" But mostly it says it'll do something and then not do it.

So my next step will be to run the Sonos from the Alexa Dot Echos. Not ideal, but I really need voice activated music and nice sound at each location.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Section three in my post above will reset Alexa - not make sure that you are logged out of ALL Amazon apps before you try the steps.