Question

Sonos, harmony hub and alexa sonos skill

• 31 December 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
I currently have a couple of sonos speakers set up through the home. I have a couple echo dots as well and have the sonos skill installed. This is working as desired at the moment for playing spotify, which is setup as the default streaming service. The command “alexa shuffle/play [playlist name/song etc] in the living room is working fine.

Today I ordered the logitech harmony elite, what I am wondering is if I will get conflicts in playing spotify on the sonos speakers through the echo dot (alexa) commands if i set up the sonos speakers on the harmony hub as devices as well?

Which will control the sonos? Harmony hub device or alexa sonos skill? Should i just not install the sonos as a device in the harmony hub as this just works now as is?

I would appreciate some insight or advise from users with such a setup.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the Harmony Hub ultimate and I find the Sonos skill better but I'm not getting any conflicts.
Badge
So with the sonos speakers set up as devices in the harmony hub and the alexa sonos skill installed, Does the command “play X song in the living room” still work or do you have to add “ask harmony” to play x song? Or do both commands work with the first option using the alexa sonos skill and the latter using harmony hub?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The requirement to say 'Ask Harmony' has gone now for the Ultimate Hub but I don't get any conflict - to be honest I haven't done any testing because it works the same as it did before I Enabled the Harmony skill.
Userlevel 2
Badge
[edit] I did go to the settings of the Harmony Hub and deleted my activity called "Play Sonos" and then re-enabled the Harmony Skill. I just tested it and so far so good. Not sure if this will continue to work, if not I'll update the post here.

BUMB

So I have the same setup, Harmony Hub and Sonos skill enabled. as soon as i enabled the Harmony Hub, Alexa could not play anymore by voicecomments referring to my sonos players. Harmony seems to have overtaken the control of sonos players. I discovered this as when i disabled the Hub skill, alexa was able to recognize and play on the Sonos again.

I do have one activity setup on the Harmony that is called 'Play Sonos', maybe that is the one that disturbs. I will remove that activity from my Harmony and try again... interested in hearing your setups too though if you manage to have both enabled without issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I also have a Play Sonos activity on my Harmony Hub but this isn't causing me any problems. Can you check that you don't have any duplicate names under Alexa App>Smart Homes in Devices and Routines.
I think UKMedia has it right. This is probably a problem of duplicate names. Even though you have one physical device (a sonos zone), you should give the device a different name in Harmony and Sonos so that Alexa knows which 'path' you want to use for controlling the device...if that makes sense.

It's really not a Sonos specific problem. I have seen the same issue occur with smart bulbs and such. I have multiple smart hubs and some of the smart devices are setup under more than one hub. Because Alexa, in many/most cases, uses smart hubs to communicate with your smart devices, I have to name the smart devices differently so that Alexa knows which smart hub I want to go through to control a device.