Answered

Sonos Beam, Sony TV and Alexa

• 2 July 2019
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos Beam connected to a Sony TV by HDMI3 (ARC). Both are connected to the internet by ethernet cable using an unmanaged switch. When I ask Alexa to turn on the living room TV she fails to do so and says that living room tv is not responding. However, once the TV is turned on, then Alexa will respond to all the usual commands such as changing channel, changing input to HDMI2 or turning the set off. I think I have got all the settings right, but has anyone else experienced this and, if so, what is the solution?
icon

Best answer by northshields1947 3 July 2019, 16:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

To answer my own question in case it helps anybody else, it turns out that Alexa does not understand "switch on tv" but will only respond to "turn on tv". Problem solved and now all working correctly.
Also for your information, the Beam itself doesn't have the ability to change TV channels. It's functionality is limited to on/off, volume, and input switching through HDMI-ARC connection (when the TV supports it). Changing channels must be occurring through some other smart device in your setup, perhaps firetv or logitech remote?