Answered

Sonos Beam Mic Not Working

• 19 August 2018
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Beam successfully connected with Alexa using the Sonos skill on the Amazon Alexa app and an Echo Dot. It seems all voice commands are running through the Dot and then playing (for example Audible book or Spotify music) on the Beam when directed to do so using the "in X room" command. Works fine that way.

It seems, though, that this is not working via the Beam itself (i.e., the "Alexa baked right into Beam" style). To note:
- Alexa doesn't respond to questions via the Beam speaker but only on the small Dot.
- The Sonos Beam mic light is not on (I have tried tapping and swiping on the mic icon on the Beam).
- I can't find a setting in the Sonos app that turns on the mic.
- Ideally, I would like to remove the Dot altogether from next to the Beam and just rely on the Beam to handle with built-in Alexa but this doesn't seem possible at the moment (unplug the Dot and all functionality stops completely).

Has anyone experienced this during setup of their beam? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 19 August 2018, 11:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The Mic is normally activated when Voice Services are setup, there is no option to turn the mic on or off via settings due to privacy concerns. I suggest you Disable then Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills and then retest

If the problem persists, then please Open the Sonos App on a mobile device and select … More>Voice Services>Amazon Alexa and follow the steps.
Thanks for the reply.

I tried disabling and then re-enabling the the Sonos skill in Alexa, but no change.

When I go to ... More > Voice Services i see what I suspect could be part of the problem: A blank screen that reads "Not available in your country" (screenshot attached).No other options to select except "Done."

I happen to be living in Japan, but since I'm setting this all up in English I'm not exactly sure precisely "what" is not available...

Also not sure how that affects usage of the mic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Your location is determined by many things:

- Your location saved in your Sonos profile in www.sonos.com
- Your country of your Amazon account
- Your location saved on any music streaming service

These are all checked when setting up Voice Services.