Answered

Sonos Beam as Alexa device in a group

• 9 December 2018
  • 3 replies

I've just installed a Beam and I'm trying to set it as the Alexa device for a group/room, but it doesn't show up as one. It does show as an Echo and Alexa device in the Alexa app.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 December 2018, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Could anyone confirm this? When setting up a group in the Alexa app, I can't set my beam as the Alexa device, therefore can't use it to control lights and other devices in the room without saying the room name.
cannyjock,

Yes (sadly) that is the case currently. Only an Amazon Echo device can 'Alexa Enable' a Group for light control .. I would like to see the Alexa part of Sonos Speakers 'Enable a Group' too, just to control my Philips Hue Lights using my Beam and/or my Sonos One.

Sonos are aware of this request and whilst they have not given any answers about the matter, neither have they said it won’t happen. So I’m keeping my fingers-x'd that one day we may be able to do this with our Sonos Alexa enabled devices.
Thanks Ken, I'll find the post and add my vote for it. Could be an Alexa limitation through rather than Sonos I guess.