Answered

Sonos Beam and Amazon Echo multiroom

• 29 October 2018
  • 9 replies

Please can someone tell me how to set up my Beam to work with Amazon Echo's in a multiroom set up. I cannot find the Beam in the Alexa App.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 October 2018, 19:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3517?language=en_US
Can you clarify what you mean by "in a multiroom setup"? If you mean that you want your Beam and Amazon Echos to play audio in sync, that's not a supported feature. Amazon echos can only play in sync with other amazon echos products.
Thank you. Yes I would like to command the Beam and all other speakers Echo and Sonos to play as a group,
It is a shame if this is not possible as I can ask the Beam to play using Alexa and it works fine but I guess I am not alone in having a mixture of Sonos speakers and Echo devices too. I appreciate the advice though.
Badge
There are so many Alexa features missing on Sonos Beam, that I think of returning the device. Sonos should have mentioned this.
Have two other Echo devices and not having this feature is very disappointing. Wish this was mentioned in the reviews and advertising. Would have made me think twice about getting this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have two other Echo devices and not having this feature is very disappointing. Wish this was mentioned in the reviews and advertising. Would have made me think twice about getting this.

FYI - Whilst some stand-alone 3rd party speakers can be grouped with Echo devices for multi-room music, no other multi-room 3rd party speakers are supported by Alexa at this moment.
This is extremely disappointing. I have my echo dots playing in the kitchen and the bedroom but silence in the living room.
Is this feature on your roadmap to support in the future? Or is it dependent on Amazon to extend multi-room support to Sonos Beam?
Neither Sonos or Amazon have stated that it would ever be supported, and yes, both sides would need to agree. The two streaming protocols are rather different with different features, with patents protecting the intellectual property. It's possible that the two could come to an agreement, but unlikely in my opinion. Although customers would clearly benefit, and the two companies are partners in some regards, they are also competitors and don't have a lot of sales reasons to do something like this.