Skip to main content

Sonos Beam, Alexa, and TV with Multiple Inputs

• 3 November 2018
  • 2 replies

I know it is possible to use a Sonos Beam to turn on a TV. But what if the TV has multiple inputs? For example, what if cable TV is HDMI input #1 into the TV and an Apple TV device is plugged into HDMI input #2? Is it possible to say, "Alexa, play Apple TV" and it somehow tells the TV to switch HDMI inputs?
Hi

I have a Harmony Ultimate Hub Remote and I can do this for my set-up via the Harmony App or via Alexa. My set-up includes Sky Q, PC and Amazon Fire TV all connected to an AV receiver which outputs to my TV. The Harmony Hub is configured with scripts to select each scenario. e.g. Watch TV - Powers on the TV, AV Receiver and Sky Q, then selects the correct Input and Output on the AV Receiver. Loading the Harmony Alexa Skill gives me voice control of these scripts.

I can't see a way for Alexa to know which TV Input to select for a specific Voice Command, without a definition for selecting which devices to power on, which Input and to what Output to select.
xkxka01,

I use the Harmony Hub too and once you setup the various 'activities', it will do everything you need, powering on the necessary devices and switching inputs, changing channels and much more besides. Its a useful smart-home alexa/google controlled device.