Answered

Sonos and Amazon Alexa Music group.

• 29 January 2018
  • 3 replies

I have one Sonos Play:1 - I also have an Echo and a pair of Echo Dots. One Dot I have connected to a Bose speaker via an aux cable. The Echo has it's own, good(ish), speakers, and the Sonos is paired with the last Dot. The Sonos is connected to my Dot as per instructions. Works as designed. One supposes.

I have an Alexa music group set up with all the Alexa devices.

My group name is, an unimaginative, "Everywhere". So I say, "Alexa, play classical music Everywhere". And it does. The Echo plays, the Dot plays with the Bose aux attached, the other Dot just plays music. No Sonos connection.

I understand that, in some fashion, this is an Amazon limitation on not being able to play to group attached Bluetooth devices. OK, can accept that. Kinda. But the Sonos, as best I can tell, has NO option for an aux cable, so no (known to me) mechanism to get around the Amazon problem.

Is there some magic by which I can get this to work the way I want it to?

I am not even sure if Amazon gets their issue with attached Bluetooth devices fixed, that it will cure my problem, since the Sonos is not an attached Bluetooth device. I like the Sonos well enough, but already have Alexa devices, I don't want to have to discard those and get replacement Sonos devices so that I can play music through the house.

Any hope?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 29 January 2018, 15:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There are Sonos devices with line-in option: Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp.

In addition, Amazon is about to release the AVS Multi-Room Music SDK which will allow customers to group multiple Amazon Echo and other third-party Alexa-enabled products. Whether Sonos can or will take advantage of this SDK remains to be seen.
If I had known what I know about about the Play:1 - I would have passed and gotten one of the others. Too much time has gone by for me to take it back to the store. So, le$$oned learned.

Thank you for the info on the Amazon SDK. I do have a pair of Bluetooth devices that might take advantage of the release when released (hopefully) but one can but wish that Sonos takes advantage as well.

Thank you "jgatie" for your helpful reply.
I see Apple just came out with a much higher quality speaker product. Unless Sonos and Alexa learn how to synch, I am dumping Alexa and going to Apple. The audio quality on Alexa is awful.