Question

Sonos and Alexa Not Working

• 9 January 2018
  • 5 replies

I have 6 Sonos Play 1. I have 3 Echo, latest generation. I have paired devices, Aelxa says there are no speakers with the name I give (Familyroom, bedroom, etc.). I have unpaired, reset to factory defaults all devices, uninstalled Sonos app, and started all over from scratch reconnecting the whole Sonos system and all Echos. Still not working. Once in a while Alexa will recognize the kitchen speaker and the den speaker but then I can't turn them off. Please help. Lots of money and time invested here to something that was supposed to be simple.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

When you say paired, what do you mean? If you mean via Alexa Groups, then these are not supported at present.

Can we just run through some set-up steps first? Can you confirm these steps and I'm sorry if these appear basic:

1/ Your Sonos system plays fine via the Sonos App?
2/ Your Echo Dot's are connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Sonos devices?
3/ Do you have any of your Sonos devices connected via Ethernet cables?
4/ Have you Enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa App>Skills?
5/ Did the linking of your Sonos & Amazon accounts complete when you Enabled the Sonos skill?
6/ Did you select in the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Discover?
7/ Can you see your Sonos devices in the Alexa App>Settings>Devices?
8/ Have you added the same Music Sources in the Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media as you have in the Sonos App>Music Sources?
8a/ Have you set a default Music Source in the Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media>Choose default music source?
9/ Do you have any duplicate device names listed within the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices? (Note: I suggest that you agree on some form of standard naming convention. I personally use Room Name + Device Type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc.)
10/ If you do have duplicate names, please rename them in the Sonos and Alexa Apps and re-discover your devices within the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Discover (If the old device names remain then please use the PC version of the Alexa App (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or .com) and select Smart Home>Devices>Forget All followed by Discover.)
11/ Are you including the Room Name in the command? e.g. 'Alexa, play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos'

Please let us know the results.:D
Ok, rechecked all that. And sorry, I meant linked instead of paired in the above question. Devices are all named. Can see them in the app on our ipad and Kindle Fires. All on same wifi. Still not working. We have everything set up and then ask Alexa to play music on the kitchen sonos and she tells us she can't find any speakers. We have tried the bedroom Echo, living room echo, and kitchen echo. We have tried 5 of the 6 Sonos (6th is put away for the winter since it's our patio sonos and hoping against lots of odds here that Sonos will someday introduce a weather resistant speaker). Still nothing. Next Steps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So these all work via the app, just not through voice control? Can you just confirm the command syntax you are using and also check in the Alexa App>Settings>History and confirm that Alexa is hearing you correctly?
I have a similar issue. I have 10 SONOS devices all working wine Sonos app on android and also on OSX. I also have Alexa and when I give Alexa a command it dims the sound on the Sonos device in the house properly - which suggests that connecrtion is fine, but when I ask Alex to play music on any of my SOnos devices (Play 5 mostly) it correctly says it is going to play the music but I only hear silence...This USED to all work beautofully and seems to have stopped working in December/January timeframe (end 2017/2018).

I've tried absolutely EVERYTHING to get this to work and no joy. My dream is ruined 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a similar issue. I have 10 SONOS devices all working wine Sonos app on android and also on OSX. I also have Alexa and when I give Alexa a command it dims the sound on the Sonos device in the house properly - which suggests that connecrtion is fine, but when I ask Alex to play music on any of my SOnos devices (Play 5 mostly) it correctly says it is going to play the music but I only hear silence...This USED to all work beautofully and seems to have stopped working in December/January timeframe (end 2017/2018).

I've tried absolutely EVERYTHING to get this to work and no joy. My dream is ruined :(

Hi

Can you follow the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post and let us know how you get on:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126/index1.html#post16210022