Answered

Sonos and Alexa in two houses

• 11 December 2023
  • 2 replies

With apologies in advance since this topic has been addressed before…

It is my understanding that Alexa can only be linked to Sonos in one location at time. So if we have a primary and secondary residence, when I travel to the secondary residence and try to use Alexa on Sonos there, I will have to unlink it from my primary residence. A workaround suggested was to set up a new Amazon account, but I don’t think this is possible since Amazon now requires a phone number for a new account. And you cannot use the same phone number for two different accounts. 

When I chatted with Sonos support today about this, this is what I was told: 

“There is no need to disable the Sonos skill when you want to use the second system.”

Am I missing something? Can I now use Alexa on Sonos in both locations without having to disable one?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 12 December 2023, 14:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @benopipari, welcome to Sonos Community.

I believe there was some miscommunication between you and our support.

As shown in our Support Article Alexa commands not working on Sonos :

Check your Amazon account

You can only use one Amazon account per Sonos system. If you have a second Sonos system in another location, you’ll need to use a second Amazon account if you’d like to use Alexa in both places.

By removing the Sonos Skill from the Alexa App, you basically unlink the connection of your Sonos Account to the Amazon Alexa cloud.

The only way possible as far as I know is by having multiple Amazon accounts, but seeing the limitation of having to provide a phone number I do not know how I can assist you further.

I am sharing below another helpful Support Article in case you manage to set up a second Amazon Account:

Use a different Amazon Alexa account with Sonos

I hope another user has managed to achieve this without the need of a second Amazon account, sees your thread and replies here with steps to get you sorted, if possible.

Thanks, that’s what I figured. Can I set up a second Sonos account with a different email address for second location and then use the same Amazon account for both Sonos accounts?