Question

SONOS ALEXA - only one device works..even...

• 26 December 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi!

I have set up alexa and sonos today. Alexa found both devices (Living Room and Kitchen), but it doesn't work in the living room. I can see both devices in the app...but alexa says she cant find the Living room. Kitchen works fine. Why? I have a Sonos 3 in the Kitchen and a Sonos 5 in the Living room (both ver 1).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

This sounds as though you have a duplicate name across devices. Can you check in the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices that there are no duplicate names across devices or groups. As a naming convention I recommend using Room Name + Device Type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc
See attached - I only have to devices and with a different name. The Kitchen is working fine, but the Livingroom is not. Any other idea?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you confirm the command syntax you are using? Try 'Alexa, play soft jazz on Living Room' and then check in the Alexa App>Settings>History and check what Alexa heard.
It looks like she has only heard "Alexa", but she in answering me "I didn't find anything called Livringroom that can play music. To play on your speaker use the device name....etc etc".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you try powering off your Echo device for 10 secs and then rebooting. Please retest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The other thing to try is to rename the LivingRoom to Lounge in the Sonos App and then in the PC version of the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Forget All then Discover. It may be that Alexa doesn't understand Living Room as one word.
Thanks, that worked! 🙂